1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multivariable integration problem

1. Feb 3, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Vector calculus

It can be shown that the area of the surface described by the vector valued function
    r(s; t) between the limits a ≤ s≤ b and c ≤ t ≤ d is given by

A=∫(from a to b) ∫(from c to d ) ‖(∂r/∂s)×(∂r/∂t)‖ dtds

Find the surface area of the bowl described by
    r(s; t) = s cos(t)i + s sin(t)j + s^(2)k; 0 ≤ s ≤ 1; 0 ≤ t ≤ 2π:

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok so first off I've solved this problem but am unsure if I am correct. The final answer I came to is roughly 50. However my friend thinks its roughly 5.33. I'm sure he is incorrect because in the last few steps the integral required a u substitution, where he didn't change the limits of integration in this case instead of 1 to 0 the new limits became 5 to 1.

if someone could check this I would be greatly appreciative.

thanks for your help.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2012 #2
    Or is a change of the limits of integration even necessary in this problem? This is my only concern otherwise I'm confident my initial answer is correct.

4. Feb 3, 2012 #3
    So if I use a u-substitution to solve a definite integral do i need to change the limits?

5. Feb 3, 2012 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If no one else checks this I'll try to get to it after I get home.

As for the question in the quotes text, YES, if you do a u-substitution to solve a definite integral, you should also change the limits of integration to be consistent with the substitution.

Alternatively, use u-substitution to find the anti-derivative, of course changing back to the original variable before evaluating the definite integral.

6. Feb 3, 2012 #5
    Ok, thanks Sam.

Danny

7. Feb 3, 2012 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The norm of the two derivatives are both certainly not much more than 1. You are integrating over an area of 2*pi. 50 is certainly wrong. It's pretty easy to ballpark it that much.

8. Feb 4, 2012 #7
    mmm I must have made a careless error.

Danny

9. Feb 4, 2012 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Doing it in detail, I agree with your friend's 5.33.

10. Feb 4, 2012 #9
    Hey Dick, did you have to use a u-substitution for the last step to this problem?

11. Feb 4, 2012 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure I did. Used a trig identity too. What did you do? I think it's about time you told us.

12. Feb 5, 2012 #11
    well the last step is where i seem to be going wrong i think. The second equation I get when i integrate is 2pi S(4S^(2)+1)^(1/2)

Which i then integrate using a u-substitution. still getting wrong answer

13. Feb 6, 2012 #12

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That is the correct integral. But how are we supposed to know what is going wrong if you don't tell us what you got and how you got it?? I get around 5.33, your friend got around 5.33. Why don't you?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  14. Feb 6, 2012 #13
    Ok so integrating that integral i set

u =4s^(2)+1
    du=8s ds
    (1/8)du = sds

subbing that into the original integral and integrating i get pi/6 (4s^(2)+1)^(3/2
    and now i have to change my limits? From 1 to 0.

15. Feb 6, 2012 #14
    so new limits will be

u=4(1)^(2)+1 = 5
    and
    u=4(0)^(2)+1 = 1

and using these new limits i get the wrong answer.

16. Feb 6, 2012 #15
    however if i don't change the limits and keep them the same at 1 to 0 i get 5.33 :S, what am i missing?

17. Feb 6, 2012 #16

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you had written the answer in terms of u as pi/6 u^(3/2) then you would need to use the new u-limits. Since you changed the integral back to s, pi/6 (4s^2+1)^(3/2) you should use the original s limits, 0 to 1.

18. Feb 6, 2012 #17
    Ah!! thanks for the help :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook