1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multivariable Max and min value problem.

1. Mar 12, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    find local max min and saddle point.
    f(x,y)= sin(x)sin(y), -pi<x<pi, -pi<y<pi

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    fx = cos(x)sin(y)
    fy= sin(x)cos(y)

now how do I get the critical points, I know how to get max min and saddle point, but I don't know how to get critical points from this equation. when fx fy = 0, we got the critical point, I know there is (0,0), how do I find the others. I got another points (pi/2,pi/2), (-pi/2,-pi/2). is there more?
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What do you mean by "fxfy= 0"? The product? A "critical point" is defined as a point where the function is not differentiable or where the partial derivatives are equal to 0. Since this function is obviously differentiable everywhere, its critical points are where cos(x)sin(y)= 0 and sin(x)cos(y)= 0. Since sin(x) and cos(x) can't be 0 at the same x, you must have either sin(x)=0 and sin(y)= 0 or cos(x)= 0 and cos(y)= 0. Where is sine 0?
  4. Mar 13, 2008 #3
    fx is the derivative of the function respect to x
    fy ......................................................... y
    Where is sine 0?
    at zero sin is zero
  5. Mar 13, 2008 #4
    Your critical points will occur at points where both partials are zero. on the given intervals, what values of x and y will make both fx and fy zero?
  6. Mar 14, 2008 #5
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?