Can I Pursue a Degree in Physics as an Adult with a Non-Traditional Background?

• Thread starter Kimimila
  • Start date
In summary, it is possible for adults with non-traditional backgrounds to pursue a degree in physics. Many universities offer programs specifically designed for adult learners, and there are also online and part-time options available. It may require additional preparation and dedication, but a passion for the subject and determination can lead to success in the field of physics. Additionally, having a non-traditional background can bring unique perspectives and skills to the study of physics.
Kimimila
Hi physics nerds! Honestly, pretty scared that I even joined this forum (so don’t expect a lot of posts from me) because I am adult college student who spent more than 10 years working retail and decided she was DONE and needed to get an education.

That being said, I hate telling people I’m pursuing a degree in physics because they eventually find out how much I struggle with math (but am very good at most other things) and they try to discourage me. My education growing up was so lacking that I didn’t even know what a variable was until two years ago (but I can write a mean essay, argue philosophy and law, and tell you all about history), but I have made it all the way to starting Calculus I this fall! I just want to prove to myself that I can do this, I can work hard and study math, and get a degree in a fascinating science in my 30s.

I live in Texas (not raised here though) with my husband and my retired racing greyhound. Luckily, about a year and a half ago I was rescued from retail work by my gym where I train (when I’m not busy with school); I do all of the office admin stuff for my gym now and also coach occasionally (yeah, I’m a gym rat). I’m an extremely abstract, big-picture, non-literal thinker, so basically the most non-stereotypical science major EVER, but I still love it, so please just have patience with me being a little more dense than your average physics nerd.

Likes Tom.G and berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. I think you will enjoy it here. :smile:

Likes Kimimila
Welcome to our community.

Just to make sure we can help you as much as possible, make sure you know about the three main sections in PF:

1. The main forums, that you see in the first page.

2. Insights Blog, available at the top row (header section). It contains articles that help in learning topics to a great extent.

3. The videos, also available in the header section. The media gallery now has some great videos in almost every aspect in science, and they provide an audio-visual learning experience.

For any questions regarding the site, ask in the "Feedback and Announcements" forum.

I assure you that you will have a great time here.

With regards,
Wrichik.