My nominee for the Anti-Christ

• Thread starter tribdog
  • Start date
In summary, Thomas Midgley was a scientist known for his contributions to stopping engine "knock" and inventing chlorofluorocarbons. However, his legacy is also overshadowed by the negative impact of these inventions, such as increased lead levels and harm to the environment. He also tragically died in a freak accident involving his own invention. Some may even consider him the antichrist, but others argue that his impact on the world is not as significant as others may believe.
tribdog
I was reading Bill Bryson's "A Short History on Nearly Everything" today and came across a scientist I had never heard of before, but probably should have. Are you familiar with Thomas Midgley?
This guy came up with a way to stop the "knock" in engines. He added lead to the fuel. Thanks to this brilliant idea we have about 625 times more lead in our system than people did 100 years ago.
Thomas didn't stop there though. Next he improved on refrigerators by inventing chlorofluorocarbons, CFCs.
I wonder if anyone scientist has had a greater impact on the planet.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nomination Seconded! That Bastard!

At the age of 51 he contracted Polio which left him severely disabled. To solve this problem he devised an elaborate system of strings and pulleys that would lift him from bed. In what must be one of the most ironic deaths in the history of science, Midgley was accidentally entangled in the ropes of this device and died of strangulation at the age of 55.
Hehehe, Someone's already on to him :tongue2:

Last edited:
But seriously, I'm going to be the Anti-Christ. I keep telling people that but no one ever belives me. I'm going to conquer the world damnit!

I was going to vote tribdog :frown:

thanks, but my two terms are up.

tribdog said:
thanks, but my two terms are up.

Move to a different religion. Then you can start a new reign of terror.

George W Bush is the antichrist

I wouldn't be suprized if the same person made both of them.

1. Who is your nominee for the Anti-Christ?

As a scientist, I do not personally have a nominee for the Anti-Christ. The concept of the Anti-Christ is a religious belief and not something that can be scientifically proven or measured. Therefore, I do not have a nominee as it falls outside of my area of expertise.

2. What criteria do you use to determine your nominee for the Anti-Christ?

Again, as a scientist, I do not have criteria for determining a nominee for the Anti-Christ. This is a belief based on religious texts and personal interpretations, not scientific evidence. It is not something that can be measured or quantified.

3. How do you respond to people who believe your nominee for the Anti-Christ is incorrect?

As a scientist, I believe in respecting others' beliefs and opinions, even if they differ from my own. My personal beliefs and opinions do not have any bearing on the concept of the Anti-Christ, and I do not claim to have any authority or expertise on the matter. Therefore, I do not have a response to those who may disagree with any potential nominees for the Anti-Christ.

4. Is there any scientific evidence to support your nominee for the Anti-Christ?

No, there is no scientific evidence to support any nominee for the Anti-Christ. As previously stated, the concept of the Anti-Christ is a religious belief, not a scientific one. Scientific evidence is based on empirical data and experiments, which do not apply to matters of faith and spirituality.

5. Can a scientific approach be used to determine the identity of the Anti-Christ?

No, a scientific approach cannot be used to determine the identity of the Anti-Christ. Science and religion are separate entities, and what may be considered evidence in one may not hold any weight in the other. The concept of the Anti-Christ is a matter of faith and personal belief, not something that can be proven or disproven through scientific means.