My simple questions - bear with me while I try to learn calculus

• Thread starter Tim67
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the individual is currently self-studying calculus and has encountered a problem understanding a specific solution. They are seeking help and clarification on two parts of the solution - how (x - 1) was derived from (x^(1/3) - 1)((x^(1/3))^2 + x^(1/3) + 1) and how the conjugate was derived in the fourth line of the solution. The response explains that the (x - 1) in the numerator was factored out and for the fourth line, the mathematician remembered how to work with even-numbered exponents in polynomials and found a conjugate to multiply by.
Tim67
I've just started trying to learn calculus via self-study; I bought a textbook and am using some stuff online for further explanation/practice questions, and if no one minds, I though I might try to use this thread to look for help/advice when I come to a problem I don't understand.

Right now I'm having some trouble understanding this solution:
http://www.math.ucdavis.edu/~kouba/CalcOneDIRECTORY/limconsoldirectory/LimConSol.html#SOLUTION 7

First off I don't understand how they went from the second centered-line part of the solution to the third - how did (x - 1) come from (x^1/3 - 1)([x^1/3]^2 ... etc)

Also, in the fourth centered line of the solution (i hope my wording isn't confusing anyone -- don't know how else to refer to it), I don't understand how that conjugate was derived.

Thanks for any help that can be given.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is the top part of that step 2 - step 3:

(x^(1/3) - 1)((x^(1/3))^2 + x^(1/3) + 1) = (x^(1/3) - 1)(x^(2/3) + x^(1/3) + 1) = x + x^(2/3) + x^(1/3) - x^(2/3) - x^(1/3) - 1 = x - 1.

As for the fourth line of the solution, they remembered how to work with even-numbered exponents in polynomials. More specifically, they're attempting to find something to multiply (x^(1/4) - 1) by so that it will become (x - 1), since that would take care of the (x - 1) in the numerator and allow the limit to be taken. That's how they find the conjugate.

Hope that helps!

1. What is calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change and motion. It is used to analyze and solve problems involving rates of change and accumulation.

2. Why is calculus important?

Calculus is important because it provides a framework for understanding and predicting the behavior of complex systems and phenomena. It is used in many fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics.

3. What are the two main branches of calculus?

The two main branches of calculus are differential calculus and integral calculus. Differential calculus deals with rates of change and slopes of curves, while integral calculus focuses on accumulation and finding the area under a curve.

4. How does calculus differ from other branches of mathematics?

Unlike other branches of mathematics that focus on static quantities, calculus deals with dynamic quantities and their rates of change. It allows us to analyze and model real-world situations that involve continuous change.

5. Is calculus difficult to learn?

Calculus can be challenging to learn, but with dedication and practice, anyone can understand its principles and applications. Building a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry can make learning calculus easier.