1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

My simple questions - bear with me while I try to learn calculus

1. Sep 1, 2010 #1
    I've just started trying to learn calculus via self-study; I bought a text book and am using some stuff online for further explanation/practice questions, and if no one minds, I though I might try to use this thread to look for help/advice when I come to a problem I don't understand.

Right now I'm having some trouble understanding this solution:
    http://www.math.ucdavis.edu/~kouba/CalcOneDIRECTORY/limconsoldirectory/LimConSol.html#SOLUTION 7

First off I don't understand how they went from the second centered-line part of the solution to the third - how did (x - 1) come from (x^1/3 - 1)([x^1/3]^2 ... etc)

Also, in the fourth centered line of the solution (i hope my wording isnt confusing anyone -- dont know how else to refer to it), I don't understand how that conjugate was derived.

Thanks for any help that can be given.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2010 #2
    Here is the top part of that step 2 - step 3:

(x^(1/3) - 1)((x^(1/3))^2 + x^(1/3) + 1) = (x^(1/3) - 1)(x^(2/3) + x^(1/3) + 1) = x + x^(2/3) + x^(1/3) - x^(2/3) - x^(1/3) - 1 = x - 1.

As for the fourth line of the solution, they remembered how to work with even-numbered exponents in polynomials. More specifically, they're attempting to find something to multiply (x^(1/4) - 1) by so that it will become (x - 1), since that would take care of the (x - 1) in the numerator and allow the limit to be taken. That's how they find the conjugate.

Hope that helps!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook