My Storm Shelter: Summer Project w/ Dog Kennels & Lights

• Construction
  • Thread starter dlgoff
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Storm
In summary, this is what I've been working on this summer; a storm shelter. I used two dog kennels to keep the deer away, and added flood lights for nighttime viewing. I also have power from a direct bury cable, and the door opens outward. If the dog kennel falls across the entrance, I can climb over it or use an escape tunnel. I'm keeping an eye out for storms, and if one comes I'll be prepared.
dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
My Summer Job
This is what I've been working on this summer; a storm shelter.

To keep the deer off, I put two 10' dog kennels around it.

front:

front.jpg

back:

back.jpg

electrical service with motion detector flood lights:

IMG_3313.JPG

Likes Greg Bernhardt, LCSphysicist, Borek and 2 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Why are the deer an issue?

Likes Spinnor, rbelli1, Wrichik Basu and 1 other person
Why do you have lights?
What is the source of the power?
Will your wooden light pole survive?
Does the door open inwards or outwards?
How will you get out once the dog kennel or caravan has fallen across the entrance?

dlgoff said:
Summary:: My Summer Job

a storm shelter.

To keep the deer off, I put two 10' dog kennels around it.
No, no, no. You want deer TRAPS around your storm shelter, not deer fences. What if it's a long storm? What are you going to BBQ unless you trap a few deer? Sheesh.

• Haha
  • Love
Likes BillTre, DaveE, Spinnor and 8 others
berkeman said:
You want deer TRAPS around your storm shelter,
not really when you have one of these :oldbiggrin::

compound bow.jpg

Vanadium 50 said:
Deer loses head-butt with Wisconsin lawn ornament.
:oldlaugh::oldlaugh::oldlaugh:
They ain't too bright (said with a southern drawl)

dlgoff said:
:oldlaugh::oldlaugh::oldlaugh:
They ain't too bright (said with a southern drawl)
And how bright would you expect Any male to be that has had to wait for a year?

Likes Spinnor and Borek
Baluncore said:
Why do you have lights?
To see if a storms is coming at night.
What is the source of the power?
A direct bury cable from my homes power service
Will your wooden light pole survive?
hopefully it will.
Does the door open inwards or outwards?
outwards.
How will you get out once the dog kennel or caravan has fallen across the entrance?
I could always climb over the kennel.

Tom.G said:
And how bright would you expect Any male to be that has had to wait for a year?
I bet you already know the answer to that. :oldbiggrin:

Likes Averagesupernova
Thanks mentors for moving to this forum. Much better place.

If the door opens outwards, how will you open the door with an applied external debris load ?
Do you not have an alternative escape route?

(His hatch has exploding bolts -- not to worry)...

:wink:

• Haha
Likes BillTre, dlgoff and Vanadium 50
Everything is better with exploding bolts.

Likes BillTre
Gus Grissom, were he still available for comment, would likely disagree...

• Haha
Likes diogenesNY, berkeman, anorlunda and 1 other person
Baluncore said:
If the door opens outwards, how will you open the door with an applied external debris load ?
Do you not have an alternative escape route?

dlgoff said:

I think the context of the question was, if you were inside the bunker and something heavy (the pole, or caravan for example) fell across the door, how would you get out? if the door opens outwards then it will not be possible to open it from the inside, and you'd be trapped.

Likes dlgoff
some bloke said:
I think the context of the question was, if you were inside the bunker and something heavy (the pole, or caravan for example) fell across the door, how would you get out? if the door opens outwards then it will not be possible to open it from the inside, and you'd be trapped.
Ah! I understand now. Well I guess I would probably have to wait for a rescue. I do have a way to cook in there. Not to worry. I have a CO detector and the airflow into out is very high (I'm in the process of finding an airflow meter and will report the results here.) I'll be posting pics of the inside also.

Thanks for the clarification @some bloke

Maybe add an escape tunnel and hatch outside of the enclosure? It doesn't have to be very big -- just big enough to crawl through to get out to fix whatever is the problem with the main door. "Always have two ways out"... :wink:

Alternately, you could add a sub-door in your main door that opens inward. that might allow you to lift up anything that was holding down the door on the outside (probably a lot less work than digging that 2nd tunnel...).

Likes Wrichik Basu and hutchphd
When the dog kennel comes down on the door, which is highly probable with a storm from any direction, the mesh will be weighed down with debris. You need to make the door so it can be taken apart from inside the shelter with available tools kept there for the job. Then you need wire cutters to cut a hole in the mesh.

It all seems so irrational, building a trap for people, to keep the deer out.
Hoist on your own petard, while digging your own grave.

Likes Tom.G and hutchphd
Averagesupernova said:
I would consider the things mentioned above, but in all likelihood people will be looking for neighbors/survivors. With the ventilation opening(s) several of these: https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200798236_200798236?cm_mmc=Google-LIA&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4qK7iviU7QIVxp6zCh2aYwCpEAUYASABEgJTIfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&utm_campaign=Wolo&utm_content=16463&utm_medium=Security Equipment > Personal Defense&utm_source=Google_LIA
-
would be very effective.
Good point, ASN. :smile:

@dlgoff -- do you have a HAM radio in your shelter and a feed to an external antenna? That seems like it would be a good addition. Or at least an AM/FM/Weather radio with an external antenna.

Likes Wrichik Basu
Another suggestion is to have one of these jacks in the shelter:

Jack.jpg

Along with some 4X4's and a saw to cut them to length. The jack is available from Northern Tool and many hardware stores. I have one of these jacks. It is solid and well built. If I had an underground storm shelter, I would assume that I would have to deal with a tree, vehicle, or portion of a house on top of it after the storm.

I hope the OP took into account worst case flood levels...

I would keep materials in the shelter to push a small vertical antenna up through a vent to be able to communicate on 2 meters.

Likes berkeman
-- do you have a HAM radio in your shelter and a feed to an external antenna? That seems like it would be a good addition. Or at least an AM/FM/Weather radio with an external antenna.
Not a HAM radio but a CB with an external antenna. I also have a weather radio (with an external antenna) and an FM radio (no external antenna needed; works fine with its' inside antenna.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman
jrmichler said:
I hope the OP took into account worst case flood levels...
I'm about 800 feet above the Kansas River. So this isn't a concern. There's never been a drop of rain getting in during downpours.

Baluncore said:
It all seems so irrational, building a trap for people, ...
Ever been in a tornado? I have.

People in tornado prone areas have been digging storm shelters since first settlements. Although it sound like @dlgoff made his thoroughly modern, the basic issues of shelter, comfort, flooding, and egress are likely the same today as a century ago.

I would guess that to shelter from a tornado, the average time inside the shelter would be only 10 minutes. And if the storm is flinging caravans around like fallen leaves, it would be immensely safer in the shelter than outside.

The most rudimentary form of tornado shelter is just an open pit, or a ditch.

Likes dlgoff
How about a photo of the inside? Thanks.

berkeman said:
Alternately, you could add a sub-door in your main door that opens inward.
Actually, This thing cost quite a bit of money and since the door weighs over 100 lbs, I wouldn't want to mess up it's action by messing with it. It has gas springs; reducing force to open.

bob012345 said:
How about a photo of the inside? Thanks.
I'm planing on taking inside pics tomorrow it it stops raining (tired of cleaning up tracked in mud from the construction site.)

Likes bob012345
dlgoff said:
Actually, This thing cost quite a bit of money and since the door weighs over 100 lbs, I wouldn't want to mess up it's action by messing with it. It has gas springs; reducing force to open.
I think the explosive bolts idea would be far sexier. You could stage a demo test, invite the whole town, and become the Mr. Wizard hero to all the kids in town.

Seriously, unless the inside walls are concrete, an army surplus folding shovel could be your backup emergency escape. You have a mound. Just dig sideways.

What about your inventory? A non-toxic fire extinguisher would be high on my list because you have a confined space with only one exit.

Likes dlgoff and Wrichik Basu
anorlunda said:
I think the explosive bolts idea would be far sexier.
:smile:
anorlunda said:
Seriously, unless the inside walls are concrete, an army surplus folding shovel could be your backup emergency escape. You have a mound. Just dig sideways.
I was just about to suggest a shovel as a backup. Great minds think alike. :smile:

anorlunda said:
Yep. All concrete with lots of steel rebar.

anorlunda said:
What about your inventory? A non-toxic fire extinguisher would be high on my list because you have a confined space with only one exit
Yes. Mounted on stairs for quick access on exiting. Inside pics to come.

Likes anorlunda