My teeth bit down hard on an iron bar

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of toothaches and the irony of needing to have teeth pulled out despite previously stating a preference for dying naturally. The participants share their experiences with gum irritation and wisdom teeth extraction, with some finding relief through over-the-counter medications and others through general anesthesia. Despite initial fears and hesitation, it is ultimately agreed that the process is not as bad as expected.
Rach3
The hard iron bar called irony, that is.

Rach3 said:
After reading this thread, I think I'd rather have no teeth at all. What useless, inconvenient bits of mineral.

I'd sooner die of gum disease than have teeth pulled out, thank you very much.

The irony of toothaches. My sadistic dentist informs me, my wisdom teeth are coming in all wrong and will necessarily need amputation. Poor hypocrite me, I had declared I'd sooner die naturally than go under the knife; now I've given in, to schedule the un-Geneva-convention-ly surgery sometime this summer. I guess I'm just not martyr material. :frown:

Moderate gum irritation today. This time, I went over to the CVS and looked for otc's. Two choices, benzocaine and eugenol. Went with benzocaine (eugenol label said it wasn't for gums). Hurray for instant pain relief! Hurray for benzocaine!

ethyl! 4-amino! BENZoate! yay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
aw, Rach. Sorry to hear that. I promise it's not that big a deal. Just ask around and get a good oral surgeon who will give you general anethesia. They put you to sleep and you wake up and it's all over. I am kicking myself for being such a baby and not doing it sooner.

Wow, I wish I had a general anaesthetic when I had a root canal done. But I got used to the injection in my mouth after a couple of sessions, and more importantly, the dentist was my cousin. :)

Rach3 said:
My sadistic dentist informs me, my wisdom teeth are coming in all wrong and will necessarily need amputation.

Don't worry, it's not as bad as people make it out to be. I ate a steak the night after my "amputation." Also, the percoset was a nice treat, I must admit.:tongue2:

1. How did your teeth end up biting down on an iron bar?

It could have been due to a sudden impact or force on your jaw, or accidentally biting down on an object that was harder than expected.

2. Is it dangerous for my teeth to bite down on an iron bar?

Yes, it can be dangerous as the iron bar is a hard and unyielding object that can cause damage to your teeth, such as chipping or cracking.

3. What should I do if I accidentally bite down on an iron bar?

If you experience any pain or discomfort, it is important to seek immediate medical attention. A dentist can assess the damage and provide necessary treatment.

4. Can biting down on an iron bar cause long term damage to my teeth?

It is possible for biting down on an iron bar to cause long term damage, especially if the force was strong enough to cause tooth fractures or breakage. It is important to seek professional help to prevent future complications.

5. How can I prevent accidentally biting down on an iron bar?

Be mindful of what you are putting in your mouth and practice proper chewing techniques. Avoid biting down on hard objects, and if you have a habit of clenching or grinding your teeth, consider wearing a mouthguard to protect your teeth.

Back