My Ti89 calculater can't differntiate anything? Please help

• Thread starter christian0710
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of the TI89 calculator not producing the expected output when trying to differentiate a function. The suggested solution is to use Wolfram-Alpha on the internet for more accurate and comprehensive results.
christian0710
Hello,

If i try to differentiate any function even simple function on the ti89 such as d(x^2,x) it spits out a list [6 8 10]
Can someone please help me with the calculator?

Physics news on Phys.org
It could be that your calculator is not set up to produce function like derivatives such as 2x, and will only produce a list of values on the curve of the derivative. Or it could be that there is a mode in which to do what you want, and you have to switch to it.

Might I suggest you use Wolfram-Alpha on the internet for these and other computations. It is very comprehensive and always in the right mode.

1. Why is my Ti89 calculator unable to differentiate any equations?

There could be several reasons for this issue. Firstly, make sure you are using the correct syntax for differentiation on your calculator. Secondly, check if you have entered the equation correctly and have included all necessary parentheses, variables, and operators. If the issue persists, there may be a technical problem with your calculator and you may need to seek assistance from the manufacturer.

2. Can my Ti89 calculator differentiate any type of equation?

Yes, the Ti89 calculator is designed to differentiate a wide range of equations, including polynomial, exponential, logarithmic, and trigonometric functions. However, it is important to ensure that the equation is entered correctly and in the right format for the calculator to differentiate it accurately.

3. What is the difference between symbolic and numerical differentiation on a Ti89 calculator?

Symbolic differentiation is when the calculator calculates the derivative of an equation using algebraic manipulation and simplification. This method is more accurate but takes longer to calculate. On the other hand, numerical differentiation uses approximation methods to estimate the derivative at a particular point. This method is faster but may not give an exact solution.

4. How can I fix the "Error: Non-algebraic variable in expression" message when trying to differentiate on my Ti89 calculator?

This error occurs when the calculator is unable to differentiate an equation because it contains a non-algebraic variable, such as a matrix or a list. To fix this, make sure that the equation only contains algebraic variables. If the equation is meant to be a function, use the "Define" function on the calculator to create a variable for the non-algebraic component.

5. Is there a limit to the complexity of equations that a Ti89 calculator can differentiate?

Yes, there is a limit to the complexity of equations that a Ti89 calculator can differentiate. The calculator has a maximum expression size, and if the equation exceeds this limit, it may not be able to differentiate it accurately. In such cases, it is recommended to break down the equation into smaller parts and differentiate them separately.