My weight increases, but does the scale say zero?

In summary, when traveling near the speed of light, an individual's mass will increase according to special relativity. However, in the absence of gravitational pull, there will be no change in weight. Therefore, a scale would read near-zero if an individual were to step on it while traveling near the speed of light. Additionally, scales cannot be used to measure mass in free space. This is demonstrated by the fact that an astronaut in orbit around Earth would not be able to step on a scale.
javas1
This is a general question, not requiring an equation.

If I travel near the speed of light, I know my mass will increase. I am assuming my weight will increase, but since there is little gravitational pull, since I am not near any large objects, then my scale would say near-zero, if I stepped on a scale?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
javas1 said:
This is a general question, not requiring an equation.

If I travel near the speed of light, I know my mass will increase. I am assuming my weight will increase, but since there is little gravitational pull, since I am not near any large objects, then my scale would say near-zero, if I stepped on a scale?

Thank you.

If there is no gravitation, and you are not in a spinning space craft, you can not step on the scale, but only keep it next to your feet, so as not let it fly away. You can not use scales in free space to measure mass.

You do not feel that your mass is more than normal when you travel with uniform velocity, as your velocity is zero in your own frame of reference.
Neither would any other scales, traveling with you, measure increase of your mass. Your mass is big for an observer who sees you traveling with speed near c.

ehild

ehild said:
If there is no gravitation, and you are not in a spinning space craft, you can not step on the scale, but only keep it next to your feet, so as not let it fly away. You can not use scales in free space to measure mass.

You do not feel that your mass is more than normal when you travel with uniform velocity, as your velocity is zero in your own frame of reference.
Neither would any other scales, traveling with you, measure increase of your mass. Your mass is big for an observer who sees you traveling with speed near c.

ehild

Thank you. That helps. Hypothetically speaking, if I stepped on a scale, then the scale would read zero, because there is no gravitational pull while traveling in a ship near the speed of light?

Gravitational pull and traveling near the speed of light are different things. If you travel in free space or just orbit around a planet or you are in a vehicle in state of free fall, you are "weightless" as both the scale and you move with the same velocity and acceleration. No need to travel near the speed of light.

Special relativity makes distinction of the mass measured from different frames of reference. If the observer measures the mass of an object that travels with some speed relative to him, he would measure the mass bigger than the "rest" mass. An observer traveling together with the object would measure the rest mass. If you travel alone in free space, far away from anything you even do not know your speed.

ehild

javas1 said:
Thank you. That helps. Hypothetically speaking, if I stepped on a scale, then the scale would read zero, because there is no gravitational pull while traveling in a ship near the speed of light?

Have you seen videos of astronauts in Earth orbit? Imagine one of them trying to step on a scale.

ideasrule said:
Have you seen videos of astronauts in Earth orbit? Imagine one of them trying to step on a scale.

That is what I cannot reconcile with. The astronauts in the space shuttle, when orbiting earth, would not be able to step on a scale.

That makes perfect sense.

Thank you again for your time.

1. Why does my weight increase even though the scale says zero?

There could be several reasons for this. One possibility is that the scale is not calibrated correctly or is malfunctioning. Another possibility is that the scale is not sensitive enough to detect small changes in weight. It is also possible that there is an error in the way you are using the scale, such as not standing on it properly. Additionally, fluctuations in water weight or muscle mass can also affect the numbers on the scale.

2. Is it possible for my weight to increase without any changes in my diet or exercise?

Yes, it is possible. As mentioned before, changes in water weight or muscle mass can cause fluctuations on the scale. Hormonal changes, stress, and medication can also contribute to temporary weight gain. It is important to not solely rely on the numbers on the scale and instead focus on overall health and well-being.

3. How can I accurately track my weight if the scale is not reliable?

There are other methods for tracking weight that may be more accurate than a scale. These include measuring body fat percentage, taking body measurements, or using progress photos. It is also important to remember that weight is not the only indicator of health and that focusing on overall wellness is more important than a number on a scale.

4. Can my weight really stay the same even if I am losing fat and gaining muscle?

Yes, it is possible for your weight to remain the same even if you are losing fat and gaining muscle. This is because muscle is more dense than fat, so you may be losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time. This can lead to a decrease in body fat percentage and an increase in muscle mass, but the overall weight may not change significantly.

5. Should I be concerned if my weight increases even though I am eating healthy and exercising regularly?

Not necessarily. As mentioned before, there are many factors that can contribute to temporary weight gain. As long as you are maintaining a healthy diet and exercise routine, it is important to trust in the process and not solely focus on the numbers on the scale. Pay attention to how you feel physically and mentally, rather than just the weight on the scale.