1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Name Electromagnetic Technologies

1. Feb 3, 2007 #1
    Hi all,

Examples of electromagnetic tecnologies that I am familiar with are particle accelerators, maglev trains, and mass spectrometers... however, I am curious as to what other tecnologies currently exist that involve electromagnetism. Thanks!

Cheers,

Matts

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2007 #2
    Automobile speedometers. (And everything else that has wires. Just as a starting point..)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2007
  4. Feb 3, 2007 #3

Mk

Sounds like a nicely phrased homework question!

Anything that has wires or a circuit board or produces light, pretty much.

5. Feb 3, 2007 #4
    Hahaha! Nice try MK ;) Actually this question arose from me DOING my homework on particle accelerators. Now I am just curious about other technologies.

Anything with a circuitboard is more electronics with a small component of electromagnetism isn't it?

Is this all we have in the form of forefront electromagnetic technologies?

6. Feb 3, 2007 #5
    "Electromagnetic"
    -wireless data and power transmission.
    -satellities, or infact any device using the EM spectrum (including all light devices). :)
    - Giant, efficient generators and motors.
    - Small, powerful, precise robotic motor actuators
    - hundreds of types of sensing
    - i.e. medical imaging, X-Rays
    - radar, remote sensing

Come on.

Almost all cool technologies are electromagnetic.

7. Feb 3, 2007 #6
    (Almost...) everything we perceive on this planet, apart from the force holding us down, is electromagnetism. Condensed matter interacts almost entirely through electromagnetic effects - all except the exotic stuff that nobody was even aware existed a hundred years ago.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?