Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Name Electromagnetic Technologies

1. Feb 3, 2007 #1
    Hi all,

Examples of electromagnetic tecnologies that I am familiar with are particle accelerators, maglev trains, and mass spectrometers... however, I am curious as to what other tecnologies currently exist that involve electromagnetism. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2007 #2
    Automobile speedometers. (And everything else that has wires. Just as a starting point..)
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2007
  4. Feb 3, 2007 #3

Sounds like a nicely phrased homework question!

Anything that has wires or a circuit board or produces light, pretty much.
  5. Feb 3, 2007 #4
    Hahaha! Nice try MK ;) Actually this question arose from me DOING my homework on particle accelerators. Now I am just curious about other technologies.

Anything with a circuitboard is more electronics with a small component of electromagnetism isn't it?

Is this all we have in the form of forefront electromagnetic technologies?
  6. Feb 3, 2007 #5
    -wireless data and power transmission.
    -satellities, or infact any device using the EM spectrum (including all light devices). :)
    - Giant, efficient generators and motors.
    - Small, powerful, precise robotic motor actuators
    - hundreds of types of sensing
    - i.e. medical imaging, X-Rays
    - radar, remote sensing

Come on.

Almost all cool technologies are electromagnetic.
  7. Feb 3, 2007 #6
    (Almost...) everything we perceive on this planet, apart from the force holding us down, is electromagnetism. Condensed matter interacts almost entirely through electromagnetic effects - all except the exotic stuff that nobody was even aware existed a hundred years ago.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?