Name for integration by parts shortcut

In summary, when solving an integrals with the integration by parts shortcut, \lambda=0, \mu=-1, and the result is sin(x)-xcos(x).
PhantomOort
Hi all. I've recently learned a shortcut for integration by parts, but don't know what it's called or where it comes from.

The trick is to find [tex]\lambda[/tex] such that [tex]f'' = \lambda f[/tex] and [tex]\mu[/tex] such that [tex]g'' = \mu g[/tex], providing both are constants and [tex]\lambda[/tex][tex]\neq[/tex][tex]\mu[/tex]. Then [tex]\int[/tex]f(x)g(x)dx = [tex]\frac{f'g-fg'}{\lambda-\mu}[/tex].

Can anyone tell me what this is called? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is [itex]\lambda[/itex] a number here? Then I can't imagine that "shortcut" being much good. It is only possible to find [itex]\lambda[/itex] such that [itex]f"= \lambda f[/itex] and [itex]g"= \lambda g[/itex] when both f and g are linear combinations of [itex]e^{\lamba x}[/itex] and [itex]e^{-\lambda x}[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, both [tex]\lambda[/tex] and [tex]\mu[/tex] are numbers. Obviously this only works in cases where they exist, such as for exponentials, trig functions, or x. But these make up a great many common integrals, so it's a pretty good shortcut.

It does not seem to be a shortcut but rather like a nice exam question that my professors used to ask. I really liked it. Let me write it again, becaues latex parser went crazy above...

[tex] fg = (\lambda -\mu)\frac{fg}{\lambda -\mu} = \frac{f''g-fg''}{\lambda - \mu} = \frac{f''g-fg''+f'g' - f'g'}{\lambda - \mu} = \frac{(f'g)' -(fg')'}{\lambda - \mu}[/tex]

Integration gives the result...

PhantomOort said:
Yes, both [tex]\lambda[/tex] and [tex]\mu[/tex] are numbers. Obviously this only works in cases where they exist, such as for exponentials, trig functions, or x. But these make up a great many common integrals, so it's a pretty good shortcut.
It would seem to me that integrals of the form [itex]\int(Ae^{\lambda x}+ Be^{-\lamba x})(Ce^{\lambda x}+ De^{-\lambda x}) dx[/itex][itex]= \int (ACe^{2\lambda x}+ BDe^{-2\lambda x}+ (BC+ AD))dx[/itex] could be done directly without worrying about integration by parts.

trambolin said:
It does not seem to be a shortcut but rather like a nice exam question that my professors used to ask. I really liked it. Let me write it again, becaues latex parser went crazy above...

[tex] fg = (\lambda -\mu)\frac{fg}{\lambda -\mu} = \frac{f''g-fg''}{\lambda - \mu} = \frac{f''g-fg''+f'g' - f'g'}{\lambda - \mu} = \frac{(f'g)' -(fg')'}{\lambda - \mu}[/tex]

Integration gives the result...
Damn, I could have done that! I need to stop being so lazy.

Thanks.

HallsofIvy said:
It would seem to me that integrals of the form [itex]\int(Ae^{\lambda x}+ Be^{-\lamba x})(Ce^{\lambda x}+ De^{-\lambda x}) dx[/itex][itex]= \int (ACe^{2\lambda x}+ BDe^{-2\lambda x}+ (BC+ AD))dx[/itex] could be done directly without worrying about integration by parts.

It's for integrals like [itex]\int x sin(x) dx[/itex], which are usually done by parts. Not that this is super hard, but with the shortcut, [tex]\lambda=0, \mu = -1[/tex], and the result is [tex]sin(x)-xcos(x)[/tex] and we're done.

PS, my apologies to any readers put off by the formatting. I'm utterly unfamiliar with this tex style and working through it as I go.

1. What is the integration by parts shortcut?

The integration by parts shortcut is a method used to integrate a product of two functions without having to use the integration by parts formula. It is also known as the "LIATE" rule, where L stands for Logarithmic, I stands for Inverse Trigonometric, A stands for Algebraic, T stands for Trigonometric, and E stands for Exponential.

2. How does the integration by parts shortcut work?

The integration by parts shortcut follows the pattern of "u" times "dv" equals "v" times "du". This means that one part of the integrand is chosen as "u" and the other as "dv". The goal is to choose "u" in a way that it becomes simpler after differentiating, and "dv" in a way that it becomes simpler after integrating.

3. When is the integration by parts shortcut useful?

The integration by parts shortcut is useful when the integrand is a product of two functions and does not have a simpler form or can't be easily solved by other methods such as substitution or partial fractions. It can also be used to simplify integrals with complicated expressions.

4. What are the steps for using the integration by parts shortcut?

The steps for using the integration by parts shortcut are as follows: (1) Identify "u" and "dv" by following the LIATE rule. (2) Differentiate "u" and integrate "dv". (3) Substitute the values of "u" and "dv" into the integration formula "u" times "dv" equals "v" times "du". (4) Solve for the integral by plugging in the values of "u" and "dv". (5) Simplify the integral if necessary.

5. Are there any limitations to using the integration by parts shortcut?

Yes, there are some limitations to using the integration by parts shortcut. It may not always work for all integrals, especially when the integrand is a product of two very complicated functions. In such cases, other methods such as substitution or partial fractions may be more effective. Also, the integration by parts shortcut may not work if the integrand does not follow the LIATE rule.