Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Name for integration by parts shortcut

1. Oct 13, 2009 #1
    Hi all. I've recently learned a shortcut for integration by parts, but don't know what it's called or where it comes from.

The trick is to find [tex]\lambda[/tex] such that [tex]f'' = \lambda f[/tex] and [tex]\mu[/tex] such that [tex]g'' = \mu g[/tex], providing both are constants and [tex]\lambda[/tex][tex]\neq[/tex][tex]\mu[/tex]. Then [tex]\int[/tex]f(x)g(x)dx = [tex]\frac{f'g-fg'}{\lambda-\mu}[/tex].

Can anyone tell me what this is called? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Is [itex]\lambda[/itex] a number here? Then I can't imagine that "shortcut" being much good. It is only possible to find [itex]\lambda[/itex] such that [itex]f"= \lambda f[/itex] and [itex]g"= \lambda g[/itex] when both f and g are linear combinations of [itex]e^{\lamba x}[/itex] and [itex]e^{-\lambda x}[/itex].

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  4. Oct 13, 2009 #3
    Yes, both [tex]\lambda[/tex] and [tex]\mu[/tex] are numbers. Obviously this only works in cases where they exist, such as for exponentials, trig functions, or x. But these make up a great many common integrals, so it's a pretty good shortcut.

5. Oct 14, 2009 #4
    It does not seem to be a shortcut but rather like a nice exam question that my professors used to ask. I really liked it. Let me write it again, becaues latex parser went crazy above...

[tex] fg = (\lambda -\mu)\frac{fg}{\lambda -\mu} = \frac{f''g-fg''}{\lambda - \mu} = \frac{f''g-fg''+f'g' - f'g'}{\lambda - \mu} = \frac{(f'g)' -(fg')'}{\lambda - \mu}[/tex]

Integration gives the result...

6. Oct 14, 2009 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It would seem to me that integrals of the form [itex]\int(Ae^{\lambda x}+ Be^{-\lamba x})(Ce^{\lambda x}+ De^{-\lambda x}) dx[/itex][itex]= \int (ACe^{2\lambda x}+ BDe^{-2\lambda x}+ (BC+ AD))dx[/itex] could be done directly without worrying about integration by parts.

7. Oct 14, 2009 #6
    Damn, I could have done that! I need to stop being so lazy.

Thanks.

8. Oct 14, 2009 #7
    It's for integrals like [itex]\int x sin(x) dx[/itex], which are usually done by parts. Not that this is super hard, but with the shortcut, [tex]\lambda=0, \mu = -1[/tex], and the result is [tex]sin(x)-xcos(x)[/tex] and we're done.

PS, my apologies to any readers put off by the formatting. I'm utterly unfamiliar with this tex style and working through it as I go.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook