Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Name of a switch that alternates between two states.

  1. Nov 20, 2013 #1
    I'm wondering what the name of a switch that alternates between two states only when depressed. An example would be a flashlight, where if you click it once, it turns on, and if you click it off, it turns off (no need to hold down the button to get a continuous light).
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2013 #2


    Staff: Mentor

    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Nov 20, 2013 #3
  5. Nov 21, 2013 #4
  6. Nov 23, 2013 #5


    User Avatar

    i think i've seen the adjective "reciprocating" used for that kind of switch.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook