Transition between two states probability

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a homework problem related to time dependent perturbation theory. The answer to part (b)i is confirmed to be correct, while the answer to part (b)ii is still being discussed. The method used for finding the eigenstates is questioned and an alternative method is suggested based on rotating the spin state of the particle. The final solution for the probability of the particle being in the desired state is given.
unscientific

Homework Statement

i6witl.png

Part (a): Show probability to transit from state i to j is given by:
Part (b)i: Use answer in part (a) to find probability
Part (b)ii: Use time evolution to find probability

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Part (a) was alright, bookwork question on time dependent perturbation theory.

What's interesting was, I got different answers for part (b)i and (b)ii.

Part (b)i

Amplitude of finding particle in state j:

[tex]a_j = \frac{1}{i\hbar}\int V_{ji} exp(\frac{i\Delta E}{\hbar}t) dt[/tex]

In this case, ##\Delta E = 2\mu B##, and since the additional hamiltonian is ##-\mu b \sigma_x##, hence ##V_{ji} = \mu b##.

[tex] a_j = \frac{1}{i\hbar} V_{ij}^{*} \int_0^T exp(\frac{i2\mu B}{\hbar}t) dt [/tex]

[tex] |a_j|^2 = (\frac{b}{B})^2 sin^2(\frac{\mu B l}{\hbar v}) [/tex]

Part (b)ii

The time evolution operator is given by ##U_{(t)} = e^{-\frac{iH}{\hbar}t}## such that ##|\psi_t> = U_t |\psi_0>##.

To find the time evolution operator:
[tex]e^{-\frac{iH}{\hbar}t} = exp(\frac{i\mu B \sigma_z}{\hbar}t) exp(\frac{i\mu b \sigma_x}{\hbar}t)[/tex]

For each of the exponentials, I found them in matrix form:

2884jnb.png

Now to overlap the desired |-,B> = (0 1) state with evolved state ##|\psi_t>##:

[tex] <-,B|\psi_t> = i sin (\frac{\mu b}{\hbar}t) exp(\frac{-i\mu B}{\hbar}t)[/tex]

Thus, probability is ##sin^2 (\frac{\mu b l}{\hbar v})##

Physics news on Phys.org
unscientific said:
To find the time evolution operator:
[tex]e^{-\frac{iH}{\hbar}t} = exp(\frac{i\mu B \sigma_z}{\hbar}t) exp(\frac{i\mu b \sigma_x}{\hbar}t)[/tex]

Keeping in mind that ##\sigma_z## and ##\sigma_x## do not commute, is this correct?

TSny said:
Keeping in mind that ##\sigma_z## and ##\sigma_x## do not commute, is this correct?

I was thinking about that, as the original operator was: ##U = e^{-\frac{iH}{\hbar}t} = exp(\frac{i\mu B \sigma_z}{\hbar}t + \frac{i\mu b \sigma_x}{\hbar}t)##

Do I use ##\sigma_x \sigma_z## or ## \sigma_z \sigma_x##?

And is the answer to (b)i correct?

unscientific said:
And is the answer to (b)i correct?

Edit: I think your answer to (b)i is correct.

For (b)ii, can you find the exact eigenvalues and eigenvectors for ##H=-\mu( B \sigma_z+ b \sigma_x)##?

Last edited:
TSny said:
Edit: I think your answer to (b)i is correct.

For (b)ii, can you find the exact eigenvalues and eigenvectors for ##H=-\mu( B \sigma_z+ b \sigma_x)##?

The eigenvalues are ##\lambda = \pm \mu \sqrt{b^2 + B^2}##. I'm having trouble finding the eigenstates. What's the point of finding them anyway?

unscientific said:
The eigenvalues are ##\lambda = \pm \mu \sqrt{b^2 + B^2}##.

OK.

I'm having trouble finding the eigenstates. What's the point of finding them anyway?

How have you gone about it?

The eigenstates of H have a simple time evolution and they can be used as basis states for expressing the spin state of the particle.

TSny said:
OK.
How have you gone about it?

The eigenstates of H have a simple time evolution and they can be used as basis states for expressing the spin state of the particle.

For example, consider ##\lambda = \mu \sqrt{b^2 + B^2}##, then I get these two simultaneous equations:

[tex]Be_1 + be_2 = \sqrt{b^2 + B^2}(e_1)[/tex]
[tex]be_1 - Be_2 = \sqrt{b^2 + B^2}(e_2)[/tex]

By the way, what's wrong with my method with the time evolution operator ##U_t## above?

unscientific said:
For example, consider ##\lambda = \mu \sqrt{b^2 + B^2}##, then I get these two simultaneous equations:

[tex]Be_1 + be_2 = \sqrt{b^2 + B^2}(e_1)[/tex]
[tex]be_1 - Be_2 = \sqrt{b^2 + B^2}(e_2)[/tex]

Looks like you might have forgotten the minus sign in the expression for the Hamiltonian, so some signs are incorrect here. The two equations are not independent, but you can use normalization to get a second condition.

There is another way to get the eigenstates if you note that the particle will be in a net magnetic field that lies in the xz plane at an angle of θ = tan-1(b/B) to the z-axis. So, the eigenstates will be spin "up" and "down" along the direction of the net magnetic field. So, if you know how to rotate spin 1/2 states, you could rotate a spin up along the z-axis to produce a spin up or spin down along the net magnetic field direction.

By the way, what's wrong with my method with the time evolution operator ##U_t## above?

I don't think the method is wrong, but you can't factor the time evolution operator as you did.

TSny said:
Looks like you might have forgotten the minus sign in the expression for the Hamiltonian, so some signs are incorrect here. The two equations are not independent, but you can use normalization to get a second condition.

ok I ended up with this pair of simultaneous equations for the positive eigenvalue:

[tex]-Be_1 - be_2 = \sqrt{b^2+B^2}e_1[/tex]
[tex]-be_1+Be_2 = \sqrt{b^2+B^2}e_2[/tex]

Still can't solve it simply, I'm trying to get something simple like ##e_1=\pm e_2##.

TSny said:
There is another way to get the eigenstates if you note that the particle will be in a net magnetic field that lies in the xz plane at an angle of θ = tan-1(b/B) to the z-axis. So, the eigenstates will be spin "up" and "down" along the direction of the net magnetic field. So, if you know how to rotate spin 1/2 states, you could rotate a spin up along the z-axis to produce a spin up or spin down along the net magnetic field direction.

I don't think the method is wrong, but you can't factor the time evolution operator as you did.

For a spin orientation (θ,ø) where θ = tan-1(b/B) to z-axis, the spin of the particle can be characterized as:

[tex]|+,t\rangle = e^{\frac{-i\phi}{2}} cos \left(\frac{\theta}{2}\right) |+,z\rangle + e^{\frac{i\theta}{2}} sin \left(\frac{\theta}{2}\right)|-,\rangle[/tex]

Since ##\phi = 0##:

[tex]|+,t=0\rangle = cos \left(\frac{\theta}{2}\right) |+,z\rangle + sin \left(\frac{\theta}{2}\right)|-,z\rangle[/tex]

This is the particle's spin state at t=0.

So at time t, the particle evolves as:

[tex]|+,t\rangle = cos (\frac{\theta}{2})*exp\left(\frac{-i\mu\sqrt{b^2+B^2}}{\hbar}t\right) |+,z\rangle + sin (\frac{\theta}{2})*exp\left(\frac{i\mu\sqrt{b^2+B^2}}{\hbar}t\right) |-,z\rangle[/tex]

Thus the probability of it being in the ##|-,z\rangle## state at time t is

[tex]sin^2\left(\frac{\theta}{2}\right) = \frac{1}{2}\left[1 - sin\theta\right][/tex]

Using ##tan\theta = \frac{b}{B}##, ##sin\theta = \frac{b}{\sqrt{b^2+B^2}}##:

Probability is ##\frac{1}{2}\left[1 - \frac{b}{\sqrt{b^2+B^2}}\right]##

This is clearly a different answer as it is a constant and there should be a factor of ##sin^2(\theta)## according to perturbation theory..

Last edited:
unscientific said:
ok I ended up with this pair of simultaneous equations for the positive eigenvalue:

[tex]-Be_1 - be_2 = \sqrt{b^2+B^2}e_1[/tex]
[tex]-be_1+Be_2 = \sqrt{b^2+B^2}e_2[/tex]

Still can't solve it simply, I'm trying to get something simple like ##e_1=\pm e_2##.

Looks good.
I found it helpful to divide both sides of the first equation by ##\small \sqrt{b^2+B^2}## and then express the coefficients in terms of cos θ and sin θ where θ = tan-1(b/B).

[tex]|+,t=0\rangle = cos \left(\frac{\theta}{2}\right) |+,z\rangle + sin \left(\frac{\theta}{2}\right)|-,z\rangle[/tex]
This is the particle's spin state at t=0.

The right side of your equation represents a state with spin that is parallel to the net B-field.

But this is not the spin state at t = 0. At t = 0 the particle has spin in the z-direction.

So at time t, the particle evolves as:

[tex]|+,t\rangle = cos (\frac{\theta}{2})*exp\left(\frac{-i\mu\sqrt{b^2+B^2}}{\hbar}t\right) |+,z\rangle + sin (\frac{\theta}{2})*exp\left(\frac{i\mu\sqrt{b^2+B^2}}{\hbar}t\right) |-,z\rangle[/tex]

No. The states ##|+,z\rangle## and ##|-,z\rangle## do not evolve with time this way. It's the spin states that are parallel or antiparallel to Bnet that have simple time evolution.

TSny said:
Looks good.
I found it helpful to divide both sides of the first equation by ##\small \sqrt{b^2+B^2}## and then express the coefficients in terms of cos θ and sin θ where θ = tan-1(b/B).
Yeah I got these two eigenstates:
551r2x.png

At t = 0, the state of the particle is along z-axis, but we wish to express it in basis along net B field, B'.

[tex]|\psi_0\rangle = |+,z\rangle = a|+,B'\rangle + c|-,B'\rangle[/tex]

This implies that ##a = \langle+,B'|+,z\rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2sec\theta(sec \theta + 1)}}(1+sec\theta) = \sqrt{\frac{1+cos\theta}{2}}## and ##c = \langle-,B'|+,z\rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2sec\theta(sec\theta-1)}}(1-sec\theta) = -\sqrt{\frac{1-cos\theta}{2}}##

TSny said:
The right side of your equation represents a state with spin that is parallel to the net B-field.

But this is not the spin state at t = 0. At t = 0 the particle has spin in the z-direction.
No. The states ##|+,z\rangle## and ##|-,z\rangle## do not evolve with time this way. It's the spin states that are parallel or antiparallel to Bnet that have simple time evolution.

That's true, because these are basis kets in the z-direction, and not in direction of tan θ. I suppose the above method can only be used.

Following from above, the ket at time t is:
[tex]|\psi_t\rangle = a*exp(\frac{-i\lambda_{+}}{\hbar}t)|+,B'\rangle + c*exp(\frac{-i\lambda_{-}}{\hbar}t)|-,B'\rangle[/tex]

Thus probability amplitude is:

[tex]\langle -,z|\psi_t\rangle = a*exp(\frac{-i\lambda_{+}}{\hbar}t)\langle-,z|+,B'\rangle + c*exp(\frac{-i\lambda_{-}}{\hbar}t)\langle -,z|-,B'\rangle[/tex]

where ##\langle-,z|+,B'\rangle = \langle -,z|-,B'\rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2sec\theta(sec \theta + 1)}} tan \theta##

Separating real and imaginary parts:

[tex]\langle -,z|\psi_t\rangle = cos \left(\frac{\lambda_+}{\hbar}t\right)\langle-,z|+,B'\rangle\left(a+c\right) + i sin \left( \frac{\lambda_-}{\hbar}t \right)\langle-,z|+,B'\rangle (a-c)[/tex]
[tex] = cos \left(\frac{\lambda_+}{\hbar}t\right)\langle-,z|+,B'\rangle\left(a+c\right) - i sin \left( \frac{\lambda_+}{\hbar}t \right)\langle-,z|+,B'\rangle (a-c)[/tex]

Finally, the probability is:
[tex]|\langle -,z|\psi_t\rangle|^2 = \left(\langle-,z|+,B'\rangle\right)^2 \left[cos^2\left(\frac{\lambda_+}{\hbar}t\right)(a+c) + sin^2 \left(\frac{\lambda_+}{\hbar}t\right) (a-c)\right][/tex]

[tex] = \left(\langle-,z|+,B'\rangle\right)^2 \left[a + c*cos\left(\frac{2\lambda_+}{\hbar}t\right)\right][/tex]

[tex] = \left[\frac{sin^2\theta}{2(cos\theta+1)}\right]\left[\sqrt{\frac{1+cos\theta}{2}} - cos\left(\frac{2\lambda_+}{\hbar}t\right)\sqrt{\frac{1-cos\theta}{2}}\right][/tex]

This looks crazy, compared to the answer in part (b)i using perturbation theory.

Last edited:
unscientific said:
Yeah I got these two eigenstates:
551r2x.png

If you forget normalization for a moment, notice that ##|+,B'\rangle \sim \left(
\begin{array}{c}
1+\sec\theta\\
\tan\theta\\
\end{array}
\right)
\sim \left(
\begin{array}{c}
\cos\theta +1\\
\sin\theta\\
\end{array}
\right)
##

Use half-angle identities to express ##1+\cos\theta## and ##\sin\theta## in terms of ##\theta/2## and simplify.

At t = 0, the state of the particle is along z-axis, but we wish to express it in basis along net B field, B'.

[tex]|\psi_0\rangle = |+,z\rangle = a|+,B'\rangle + c|-,B'\rangle[/tex]

This implies that ##a = \langle+,B'|+,z\rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2sec\theta(sec \theta + 1)}}(1+sec\theta)## and ##c = \langle-,B'|+,z\rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2sec\theta(sec\theta-1)}}(1-sec\theta)##

That's true, because these are basis kets in the z-direction, and not in direction of tan θ. I suppose the above method can only be used.

Following from above, the ket at time t is:
[tex]|\psi_t\rangle = a*exp(\frac{-i\lambda_{+}}{\hbar}t)|+,B'\rangle + c*exp(\frac{-i\lambda_{-}}{\hbar}t)|-,B'\rangle[/tex]

Note that the eigenvalue ##\lambda_+## corresponds to the higher energy and therefore belongs to the spin state that is anti-parallel to B'. This is due to the overall negative sign in H.

TSny said:
If you forget normalization for a moment, notice that ##|+,B'\rangle \sim \left(
\begin{array}{c}
1+\sec\theta\\
\tan\theta\\
\end{array}
\right)
\sim \left(
\begin{array}{c}
\cos\theta +1\\
\sin\theta\\
\end{array}
\right)
##

Use half-angle identities to express ##1+\cos\theta## and ##\sin\theta## in terms of ##\theta/2## and simplify.

Note that the eigenvalue ##\lambda_+## corresponds to the higher energy and therefore belongs to the spin state that is anti-parallel to B'. This is due to the overall negative sign in H.

Yeah it gets pretty messy, at this stage its hard to believe that it will all turn out to be a simple sin2θ function. I will definitely work it out later today or tomorrow. But for now, is this concept/method right?

1. Express initial state |+,z> in terms of basis along B'.
2. Each ket evolves with time given by exp(-iEt/h)
3. Overlap with <-,z| to find probability amplitude

unscientific said:
But for now, is this concept/method right?

1. Express initial state |+,z> in terms of basis along B'.
2. Each ket evolves with time given by exp(-iEt/h)
3. Overlap with <-,z| to find probability amplitude

Yes. That will solve it.

1. What is the transition between two states probability?

The transition between two states probability is the likelihood that a system will move from one state to another over a certain period of time. It is often used in the fields of physics, chemistry, and biology to describe the behavior of particles or molecules as they transition between different energy levels or states.

2. How is transition between two states probability calculated?

The transition between two states probability is typically calculated using mathematical models such as Markov chains or differential equations. These models take into account various factors such as initial conditions, time, and the probability of transitioning between states. The resulting probability can range from 0 (impossible) to 1 (certain).

3. What factors affect transition between two states probability?

There are several factors that can affect transition between two states probability, including the initial conditions of the system, the time interval being considered, and the potential energy landscape of the system. Other factors such as temperature, pressure, and external forces can also play a role in determining the probability of transitioning between states.

4. How is transition between two states probability related to equilibrium?

In systems where there are multiple states, the transition between two states probability is closely related to the concept of equilibrium. When the probability of transitioning from one state to another is equal in both directions, the system is said to be in equilibrium. This means that the system is not changing over time and has reached a stable state.

5. What real-world applications does transition between two states probability have?

Transition between two states probability has a wide range of real-world applications, including predicting the behavior of chemical reactions, understanding the dynamics of biological systems, and analyzing data in finance and economics. It is also used in the development of new materials and technologies, such as quantum computing and energy storage devices.