1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Name of this phenomenon on gyroscopic motion?

  1. Jul 2, 2015 #1
    There is the illusion that when a force is applied at one point on a spinning wheel, the effect is as if the force is applied 90 degrees downstream of the rotation. What is this called? Does it have an official name?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2015 #2


    Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Similar Discussions: Name of this phenomenon on gyroscopic motion?
  1. Physical phenomenon (Replies: 2)

  2. Natural phenomenon (Replies: 13)

  3. Refraction phenomenon (Replies: 6)