Name That Physicist: 70 of World's Most Famous Faces

• Thread starter rhody
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physicist
In summary: Einstein mug?In summary, the people in the picture are:1. Frank Wilczek2. Holger Nielsen3. Gerard T'Hooft4. David Gross5. Carlo Rovelli6. humanino7. Rhody...:devil:8. Gerard t'Hooft9. Carlo Rovelli10. Holger Nielsen11. humanino12. Holger Nielsen13. humanino14. humanino15. humanino16. humanino17. humanino18. humanino19. humanino20. humanino21. humanino22. humanino23.
rhody
Gold Member
I ran across this little gem, approximately 70 or so of the world's most famous physicist's.

For those of you with Adobe Photoshop you can download the image, enhance, and blow up the faces in the rear. "i50.tinypic.com/npnrzm.jpg"[/URL]

Your job is to identify by row, position, every face that can be viewed, I only see one face where the eyes, nose are not present... He is excluded, partially bald.

And no cheating ! If you know of the conference they were attending, simply posting the roster doesn't cut it, you must match the face to the correct name.

This should be interesting...

Here is a template to use: from left to right, row 1 = front, bottom of the picture

Row 8
Row 7
Row 6
Row 5
Row 4
Row 3
Row 2
Row 1 Frank Wilczek, 7

[ATTACH=full]132445[/ATTACH]

Rhody... :devil:

Attachments

• npnrzm.jpg
    npnrzm.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 184
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Row 8:
Row 7:
Row 6:
Row 5:
Row 4:
Row 3:
Row 2: Holger Nielsen, 7 (green shirt);
Row 1: Frank Wilczek, 7; Gerard t'Hooft, 8;

It's not really possible to identify all of them I believe, even themselves could not identify every single individual. Anyway, I'll take by order, this begins with an easy one :
Row 1, Carlo Rovelli, 1;
Row 7, humanino, 13;

Niles said:
Row 1: Frank Wilczek, 7; Gerard t'Hooft, 8;
David Gross, 9 (not quite sure, but probable given position)

rhody said:
I ran across this little gem, approximately 70 or so of the world's most famous physicist's.
Where's the picture from? (I guess that would give away the game - so could you let us know eventually?)

One of the people in it was a high school classmate of mine, who later did a post-doc under t'Hooft.

Gokul43201 said:
Where's the picture from?

PM sent... Just play fair and keep it interesting is all that I ask, with all the mindpower on the this forum, I think it won't be long before we know all the major players at least.

Once the primary players are found, the post doc's, etc... should be easy to spot.

Rhody...:devil:

if there were numbers on each...

or letters and numbers?

(like a seating chart)?

rewebster said:
if there were numbers on each...

or letters and numbers?

(like a seating chart)?

rewebster,

Now that I think of it, I should have posted a legend for putting the physicist's in a row, let's assume from left to right.

Think of it as this:

Row: (name, position), (name, position), etc...

Easy to keep it straight that way.

Obviously in the back rows it will get a bit dicey, we may need another physical attribute to be sure of the position, hair color, gender, etc... because people are not in horizontal order.

Niles already did that in post #2 above just to be sure.

Rhody...

Last edited:
Fifth from the right in the fourth(?) row reminds me of George Smoot, though I think that Smoot is a bit fatter. And the guy #6 in the second row (left of Nielsen) looks like Abhay Ashtekar. And I could swear that I've seen two guys to the right of Rovelli somewhere, but I can't place them now.

P.S. and is the dark haired lady in the second row Renate Loll?

P.P.S. on the second thought, #6 in the second row is not Ashtekar but Mohamed El Naschie.

Last edited:
hamster143 said:
Fifth from the right in the fourth(?) row reminds me of George Smoot, though I think that Smoot is a bit fatter. And the guy #6 in the second row (left of Nielsen) looks like Abhay Ashtekar. And I could swear that I've seen two guys to the right of Rovelli somewhere, but I can't place them now.

Without photoshop or a good graphic program it is hard to tell, what I usually do is a screen grab, trim it, then using google images compare it to what a search turns up for confirmation, works quite nicely. The good news is this image is fairly high resolution so things blow up pretty well. This will work well for the main players, but the younger ones you will have to go to the primary's University home page and search the staff, fun huh ?

Rhody...

I found the source of that photo, but that does not help much to identify people in the picture. At best you can get a partial list of people who attended the event (not all of them necessarily present in the picture!)

Aside from the ones already mentioned in the thread, the picture may or may not contain the following physicists:

Bernard de Wit
Cecilia Jarlskog
Kenneth Lane
Roman Jackiw
Anthony Zee
Lee Smolin
Jogesh Pati
Alexander Polyakov
Julius Wess
Mikhail Shifman
Luis Alvarez-Gaume
John Schwarz
Peter van Nieuwenhuizen
Erik Verlinde
Jean Iliopoulos
Howard Georgi
Hagen Kleinert
Nathan Seiberg
Andrei Linde
Lawrence Krauss
Sander Bais
Leonard Susskind
Robbert Dijkgraaf

hamster143 said:
P.P.S. on the second thought, #6 in the second row is not Ashtekar but Mohamed El Naschie.

Isn't El Naschie a crackpot..?

Row 3, Leonard Susskind, around 7 (with dark sun glasses)

I think I can spot Howard Georgi. From row 3 again, between 4 and 5 there is a woman behind in the middle of the two, with dark sun glasses again. Right behind this woman, one can see the top of a head with glasses. Long shot, but maybe Howard.

Yes, he did!

BTW, there's definite resemblance between him and Ashtekar, at least to my
eurocentric eye:

prof_leggett_nobelprize_prof_el_naschie.jpg
ashtekar.jpg

Well, I'm Indian (like Ashtekar), so I don't see it :smile: . El Naschie has a distinctly un-Indian appearance.

I am not Indian, yet I agree with dx. There is definitely no resemblance at all, except maybe for their shirt.

dx said:
Looks like El Naschie cut out everyone from this picture, except himself, 't Hooft, Gross and Wilczek and put it up on his website:

prof-el-naschie-nobel-laurates-gross-thooft-wilcezk.jpg

What a jerk.

It's the birthday party of this young man below...:smile:

http://www1.phys.uu.nl/gerard60/img/gerard60-1948.jpg

Regards, Hans

Hans de Vries said:
It's the birthday party of this young man below...:smile:

http://www1.phys.uu.nl/gerard60/img/gerard60-1948.jpg

Regards, Hans
Cute! Is that t'Hooft getting an early start on spinor dynamics?

Just curious, I am toying with the idea of downloading, "GIMP" a free Photoshop like program for Windows 7 and was wondering if anyone has experience with it, and if so, with layering (or something equivalent to it).

If layers could be used I could retouch the original photo with nice small numbers next to everyone's head (in full view that is).

Thanks in advance...

Rhody...

I have no experience with GIMP under Microsoft, but I use it with Mac and Linux (btw, this is the GNU Image Manipulation Program) and it does handle layers well. I am very satisfied with GIMP actually.

humanino said:
I have no experience with GIMP under Microsoft, but I use it with Mac and Linux (btw, this is the GNU Image Manipulation Program) and it does handle layers well. I am very satisfied with GIMP actually.

humanino,

If I am able to download and install a version under Windows 7, what feature do I use to add the layers needed for the numbering scheme (simplest approach would be best).

Someone at work suggested a layer for each number, but with about 70 or so folks that seems wasteful. Suggestions would be welcome, and of use to others who view this thread.

Rhody...

Raw, I guess 5, can't count from the left (large number, >5)

pvn.jpg

Peter van Nieuwenhuizen

arkajad said:
Raw, I guess 5, can't count from the left (large number, >5)

pvn.jpg

Peter van Nieuwenhuizen

akajad,

Nice find, he kind of looks like the actor, Peter Fonda to me, though, lol.

Rhody...

rhody said:
akajad,

Nice find, he kind of looks like the actor, Peter Fonda to me, though, lol.

Rhody...

Hi Rhody,

The fact is: he IS very nice, humble and straightforward in communication. His smile is natural, not that of an actor. Met him many years ago in CERN, then in Stony Brook. He was always willing to help.

arkajad said:
Hi Rhody,

The fact is: he IS very nice, humble and straightforward in communication. His smile is natural, not that of an actor. Met him many years ago in CERN, then in Stony Brook. He was always willing to help.

arkajad,

I hope you didn't misinterpret my meaning, I said he looked similar to Peter Fonda, not that in any way he was like the rebellious character in the movie, I am sure he is a cool guy as you said, if you have any interesting stories about him, I (we, the PF collective hive) would like to hear them.

Rhody... :wink:

1. Who is featured in "Name That Physicist: 70 of World's Most Famous Faces"?

The book features 70 of the most famous physicists from around the world, including Albert Einstein, Marie Curie, Isaac Newton, and Stephen Hawking.

2. Is this book suitable for all ages?

Yes, this book is suitable for all ages. It is designed to be an educational and entertaining resource for anyone interested in learning about famous physicists.

3. Are there any lesser-known physicists featured in this book?

While the book primarily features well-known physicists, there are a few lesser-known scientists included as well. These individuals have made significant contributions to the field of physics and deserve recognition.

4. Can I use this book as a reference for research?

This book is not intended to be a comprehensive reference for research. It is more of a fun and educational resource for learning about famous physicists and their contributions to the field.

5. Are there any interactive elements in this book?

Yes, this book includes interactive elements such as quizzes and puzzles to engage readers and test their knowledge of the featured physicists.