1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nano technology - something for the future or just a hype?

1. Oct 27, 2008 #1
    Is it wise to go for an education in nano technology, or is it just a big hype? Nano technology is often divided into bio nanotechnology, nano electronics and nano material technology. Which one would you go for?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2008 #2
  4. Nov 3, 2008 #3
    I want to go to the USA for exchange one year. Any suggestions when it comes to universities that are good at nanotech?

5. Nov 4, 2008 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

The second half of your message sounds like you have already made up your mind about the first half.

6. Nov 4, 2008 #5
    Nanotechnology is here to stay, it's just a fleeting soup of biology, chemistry and physics coming together. Some would say that it is physics maturing and becoming really useful to humanity. Other would say that nanotechnology is more dangerous than strangelets from the LHC.

I for one will take the master in nanotechnology. But it will be coupled with a lot of physics. Now I don't know what angle you will do nano from, but I suppose it's from at least a physical chemistry-angle. biotech-people doing nano makes me sick.

Then you probably will know that you will have to wade through most of the really gritty physics there is, a phd-course in condensed matter physics, probably one in non-relativistic quantum mechanics, and if you are really good, probably some QFT too.

But I wouldn't recommend nanotechnology if you are not inclined to either one of these two, computational physics or experimental physics.

What kind of field you should go into? hmm, tricky one. I would say it depends on what country you are going to work aso in. Like in some parts of europe it would be smarter to take a biophysics-nano-msc, because they have a large industry which are a bit needy for biophyscists.

While other countries with a large steel-industry for example would be in need of material-nanotechnologists.

It's all about competetive awareness.

7. Nov 5, 2008 #6

I did.

8. Nov 5, 2008 #7
    I find physics to be most important at least when looking at fundamental nanotech research. You don't necessarily have to major in physics, but most of the work I see done is lead by condensed matter physicists. My area of interest is a bit away from the "applied" stuff though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?