1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nanoparticle dragged off a layer and tunnelling to a STM tip, equation

1. Dec 5, 2013 #1
    Here we have a STM tip placing a potential V across a monolayer with a single electron on it.

| STM (scanning tunneling microscope) Tip |
    | |
    \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\///////////////

(((((((((((( ELECTRON ))))))))))))))
    ------------------------ MONOLAYER ---------------------------

it takes a potential V1 to get the electron away from the atom on the layer, it takes a potential V2 to get the electron to tunnel through the gap. So in effect we have 2 capacitors in series.

the question wants V1 and V2, i.e. the potential across each 'capacitor' and gives the solution

V1 = V (C1 / C1+ C2) - n (e / C1 + C2)

V2 = V (C2 / C1+ C2) + n (e / C1 + C2)

Obviously the second term of each equation is related to the charge e and the number of charges n which effect the potential. However when i treat the problem as a circuit diagram i get:

V1 = V ( C1 / (C2 + C1))
    V2 = V ( C2 / (C2 + C1))

Which is correct and would be correct if this were a normal circuit, however the solutions above each have that second term in.

My question is, how do i introduce that second term? i understand why its there, but can i say there will be an additional term which relates to the number of particles and add it to my V1 and V2 terms? But one is negative? Do I just say the sum of the additional terms must be zero so haphazardly include one with a positive term and one with a negative term?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2014 #2
    currently revising, still havent been given the solutions back (even though ive asked for them) and it may come up in the exam :-///

it's really an electronics question with two capacitors in series, but i still cant derive the solutions given, any ideas please?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted