1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Natural Gas to generate hydrogen, fuel cell?

1. Dec 9, 2012 #1
    Hi all, one last question for today - Given steam reforming of natural gas to generate hydrogen, what is the major difficulty with it with respect to most fuel cells? Thank you,

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2012 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I'm not sure there is a difficulty with it. You can reform it or use it directly.

4. Dec 9, 2012 #3
    So we would use the hydrogen (Made from steam reforming via natural gas) to make the fuel cells then? Thank you-

5. Dec 10, 2012 #4
    Any other fuel cell pros in the community?

6. Dec 11, 2012 #5

russ_watters

I'm not really sure what you are asking. Could you rephrase? Have you done any of your own research?

7. Dec 11, 2012 #6

jim mcnamara

This kind of sounds like an assignment/homework question.

Can you please post your requirements?

8. Dec 12, 2012 #7

NascentOxygen

I think I've seen (a test setup described) where the hydrogen content in natural gas is used by having the fuel cell connected to the town gas system and incorporating a filter to extract only the light molecules of hydrogen and use that as its fuel.

9. Dec 12, 2012 #8

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_reforming

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook