Natural Log of Product Solution

L(θ) = nlnθ + Ʃ(ln(θ) - ln(2√xi) - ln(e^(-θ√xi)))= nlnθ + Ʃln(θ) - Ʃln(2√xi) - Ʃln(e^(-θ√xi))= nlnθ + nln(θ) - Ʃln(2√xi) - θ*Ʃln(e^(-θ√xi))= nln(θ^2) - Ʃln(2√xi) - θ*Ʃ√
Phox

Homework Statement

L(θ) = ∏(θ/(2√xi)*e^(-θ√xi)),i=1, n

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

-> θ2∏(1/(2√xi)*e^(-θ√xi))

taking natural log of both sides

lnL(θ) = nlnθ + ln∏(1/(2√xi)*e^(-θ√xi))

= nlnθ + Ʃln(1/(2√xi)*e^(-θ√xi))

Ok so from what I understand the ln of a product is the sum. But I'm not sure how exactly to simplify from here

Physics news on Phys.org
Phox said:

Ok so from what I understand the ln of a product is the sum.
You can apply that again to the product [1/(2√xi)]*[e^(-θ√xi)]. You can then also use ln(xa) = a ln(x) for cases like a = -1, a = 1/2. What can you do with ln(ex)?

Phox said:

Homework Statement

L(θ) = ∏(θ/(2√xi)*e^(-θ√xi)),i=1, n

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

-> θ2∏(1/(2√xi)*e^(-θ√xi))

taking natural log of both sides

lnL(θ) = nlnθ + ln∏(1/(2√xi)*e^(-θ√xi))

Ok so from what I understand the ln of a product is the sum. But I'm not sure how exactly to simplify from here

##ln(\frac{a}{b}) = ln(a) - ln(b)##

Last edited:

1. What is the natural log of a product?

The natural log of a product is the logarithm of the product of two or more numbers to the base of the mathematical constant e, also known as the natural logarithm. It is denoted as ln(x * y) or ln(xy).

2. How is the natural log of a product calculated?

The natural log of a product can be calculated by taking the natural log of each individual number in the product and then adding them together. For example, ln(2 * 3) = ln(2) + ln(3).

3. What is the relationship between the natural log of a product and the natural log of its factors?

The natural log of a product is equal to the sum of the natural logs of its factors. This relationship is known as the logarithmic product rule, which states that ln(xy) = ln(x) + ln(y).

4. Why is the natural log of a product important in mathematics and science?

The natural log of a product is important in mathematics and science because it helps simplify complex calculations involving products, such as calculating compound interest or solving exponential equations. It is also used in various mathematical and scientific models and formulas.

5. Can the natural log of a product be negative?

Yes, the natural log of a product can be negative. This occurs when one or more of the factors in the product is between 0 and 1, as the natural log of numbers between 0 and 1 is negative. For example, ln(0.5 * 2) = ln(0.5) + ln(2) = -0.693 + 0.693 = 0.