Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Near ballistic light/photon interference

1. May 27, 2010 #1
    Hi,

For interference to take place, the light wave must retain their coherence. For scattering, when photon particles are scattered/dispersed/deflected, they should lose their phase relationship or coherence, should they be capable of interference?

this may sound queer, i know interference are not explained via particle/photon but any way to relate wave to particle in interference? also if so, how would we relate on the above mentioned question on near ballistic light/photon interference?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2010 #2
    photons do not couple with each other directly , but they do obey superposition ,
    I dont know if this is what you are looking for .

4. May 29, 2010 #3
    actually i am interested to know about intereference between scattered photons, are they able to interfere...is there any written books or journal on them?

thanks

5. May 29, 2010 #4
    Last edited: May 29, 2010
  6. May 29, 2010 #5

Cthugha

Science Advisor

This of course depends on whether you consider coherent or incoherent scattering mechanisms.
    One application of coherence of scattered light is in dynamic light scattering/photon correlation spectroscopy where you can for example determine diffusion constants or particle size distributions of small molecules or particles forming viscous liquids in terms of the correlation functions of the scattered light.
    You might want to search for dynamic light scattering for starters. Most books considering this topic also consider interference in scattering processes from a more general point of view.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook