Near Lightspeed Space Exploration - Query

This adds mass to the spacecraft.In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using a powerful laser and a strong magnetic field to generate thrust for space exploration. This idea was sparked by Stephen Hawking's recent initiative to use lasers to propel micro-ships at near lightspeed. The conversation also raises questions about the feasibility of this concept and the potential for a smaller test-scale version using a drone or satellite. Ultimately, it is noted that using a shipboard laser for this purpose would require additional energy and add mass to the spacecraft.
ThreeiedLearning
I mostly just imagine stuff. For some years I've had imaginings of what might be possible if we could fire a laser like that of the N.I.F. into a magnetic field like that of the L.H.C. Recently, Hawking has announced his initiative to explore space at near lightspeed with "micro-ships" propelled by earthbound lasers. And this really has me wondering now, would a powerful ship mounted laser firing into a powerful magnetic field not generate "ample" thrust? Could this not be attempted on a smaller test scale? A drone/satellite size/type craft generating its own field and laser? If it were possible and a craft could reach near lightspeed, what I wouldn't give to see the clock after it traveled near lightspeed for some time.

Anyhow, just looking for some educated thoughts if possible, or even probable.

Thanks.

Science news on Phys.org
ThreeiedLearning said:
And this really has me wondering now, would a powerful ship mounted laser firing into a powerful magnetic field not generate "ample" thrust?
No.

How would one expect thrust to be generated? Or rather, how would one expect momentum of the spacecraft to change?

The momentum from photons is pretty small, especially for photons in the eV range, or less.

A shipboard laser requires an energy source and some power conversion system.

1. How close to the speed of light can we currently travel in space?

As of now, the fastest spacecraft ever launched, NASA's New Horizons probe, can travel at a speed of about 36,373 miles per hour, which is just 0.0059% of the speed of light. However, with advancements in technology and propulsion systems, it is theoretically possible to travel closer to the speed of light in the future.

2. What are the challenges of near lightspeed space exploration?

The main challenge of near lightspeed space exploration is the immense amount of energy required to reach such high speeds. It would also require advanced technology to protect the spacecraft and its occupants from cosmic radiation, micrometeoroids, and other hazards in space. Additionally, it would also be difficult to decelerate the spacecraft once it reaches near lightspeed and to accurately navigate through the vastness of space.

3. How would time dilation affect a near lightspeed space journey?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, time dilation occurs as an object approaches the speed of light. This means that time would pass slower for the travelers on the spacecraft than for those on Earth. Therefore, a near lightspeed journey could potentially allow travelers to age less compared to people on Earth.

4. Can we send humans on a near lightspeed space journey?

At the current level of technology, it is not feasible to send humans on a near lightspeed space journey. However, with further advancements in technology and research, it may be possible in the future. It would require advanced propulsion systems, shielding against radiation, and a long-term sustainable habitat for the travelers.

5. What are the potential benefits of near lightspeed space exploration?

Near lightspeed space exploration could open up new frontiers for human exploration, allowing us to reach distant planets and stars within a reasonable timeframe. It could also advance our understanding of the universe, help us discover new resources and potentially lead to the development of new technologies. Additionally, it could also have significant economic benefits, such as the potential for space mining and tourism.