Neccessary Math before going for a PhD

• Thread starter Thinker301
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phd
In summary, before going to grad school for physics, it is important to have a strong foundation in high school level algebra and trigonometry, as well as calculus 1, 2, and 3, and differential equations. Linear algebra is also necessary for most fields. Real analysis, complex analysis, abstract algebra, Lie theory, differential geometry, and calculus of variations may also be beneficial, but can be picked up as needed during graduate studies. For condensed matter theory, topology, continuous and discrete groups, representation theory, complex analysis, asymptotic methods, and differential geometry are recommended.
Thinker301
Hello everyone,

How much math should I know like the back of my hand before I go to grad school, so that I am not barred from a field because I don't know enough math.

I am not sure what field of physics I want to go into. I will probably be in theory though. (I am doing research in theory right now and really enjoying it, but I am planning to do an reu in experiment because when else will I have the time)

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Algebra and trig (high school). Calc 1, 2, and 3. Diff Eq.

These all need to be mastered. Depending on what field, you may need to master other aspects of undergrad math also.

Awesome, I have got those down. Say I want to go into HEP/CondensedMatter/Astro/Nuclear (all theory)?

Also linear algebra.

I am learning that now! It's rather interesting!

What about Real Analysis, Complex Analysis, Abstract Algebra, Lie Theory, Differential Geometry, Calculus of Variations,etc?

Thinker301 said:
I am learning that now! It's rather interesting!

What about Real Analysis, Complex Analysis, Abstract Algebra, Lie Theory, Differential Geometry, Calculus of Variations,etc?

Work through Mary boas book. Then in graduate school take a mathematical methods course. That will introduce you to many topics that are applicable to your physics study. Once you've started research in a particular field, you can pick up what else you need to know. It can depend on many things, and the fields you've listed are quite different in terms of mathematics.

For CMT it is highly dependent on the specific area but based on recent topics of interest, I would say topology, continuous and discrete groups, representation theory/projective representations, complex analysis, asymptotic methods (stationary phase, saddle point approximations), differential geometry especially in the context of holography.

FAQ: Neccessary Math before going for a PhD

What is the importance of having a strong foundation in math before pursuing a PhD?

Math is a fundamental tool in many scientific fields and having a strong foundation in math is crucial for success in a PhD program. It allows you to understand and analyze complex data, develop and test hypotheses, and communicate your findings effectively.

What specific areas of math are important for a PhD?

Some specific areas of math that are important for a PhD include calculus, linear algebra, statistics, and differential equations. These areas of math are commonly used in various scientific disciplines and are essential for understanding and conducting research.

How can I improve my math skills before starting a PhD program?

There are various ways to improve your math skills before starting a PhD program. You can take additional math courses, attend workshops or seminars, practice with textbooks or online resources, and seek help from a tutor or mentor.

Do I need to have a perfect understanding of math before pursuing a PhD?

While having a strong foundation in math is important, it is not necessary to have a perfect understanding of math before pursuing a PhD. As you progress through your program, you will continue to develop and refine your math skills through coursework, research, and collaboration with other experts in your field.

Can I still pursue a PhD if I struggle with math?

Yes, you can still pursue a PhD even if you struggle with math. It is important to acknowledge your weaknesses and work on improving your math skills, but it should not discourage you from pursuing your academic goals. There are also resources and support available to help you overcome any challenges you may face in your math courses.