Necessary classes before graduate school

In summary, ZapperZ suggests that people with a degree in EE or physics should take courses in QM and CM, and that abstract algebra is not necessary for preparation for the qualifying exam.
brentd49
I've been reading ZapperZ's thread "I have so-and-so degree, can I get into Physics?", and I've been thinking what classes I should definitely take so that the qualifier doesn't kick me out of graduate school.

I'm in a EE and physics dual degree program, which doesn't require as many physics classes as physics majors. My current plan is to cover up to 2 semesters of QM and CM. Through the Engineering dept, I will have covered 2 semesters of EM, solid state, and other general EE courses. Are there any other necessary courses or independent studying I should do, so that I do well on the physics gre and the qualifier?

Physics news on Phys.org
Based on my own experiences, make sure you have some abstract algebra in there too. It couldn't hurt to study some group theory on your own. If you're going experimental they won't help you too much down the road, but they may help with your classes.

Er... abstract algebra? For preparation for the qualifying exam??! Which school is this?

Zz.

I would take the Physics Department E&M courses, not the ones thru the EE department. I have seen your situation in the past and the students seem to do OK until they get to the graduate courses in E&M, then they have real problems.

Okay. So no abstract algebra?

If E&M is that serious, I'll study it on my own. But I don't have time to formally retake two classes. Or maybe I'll just sit-in on the courses.

you can talk to your EE advisor about replacing EE's E&M with Physic's E&M. I didn't realize that at my school and ended up taking E&M from EE. I would suggest taking E&M from physics. EE will not cover some essential/useful topics, just maxwell's equations and applications. for example, my EE E&M class did not cover potential formulation and conservation laws.

brentd49 said:
Okay. So no abstract algebra?
If E&M is that serious, I'll study it on my own. But I don't have time to formally retake two classes. Or maybe I'll just sit-in on the courses.
Yeah, I definitely would not bother with abstract algebra, unless your a masochist :-p

ZapperZ said:
Er... abstract algebra? For preparation for the qualifying exam??! Which school is this?

I suspect that WMGoBuffs responded to the title of the thread without thoroughly reading brentd49's first post. WMGoBuffs does make a good point, though. Some people need (and some don't) a course in a abstract algebra in order to understand some of the group theory concepts presented in graduate particle and quantum field theory courses.

Recently, someone started posting in PF looking for lots of help with group theory and representation theory. Even though an introductory abstract algebra course covers neither Lie groups nor representation theory, I don't think this person would be having nearly as many problems if he/she had taken an abstract algebra course.

Regards,
George

Related to Necessary classes before graduate school

1. What classes should I take before applying to graduate school?

The specific classes you should take will depend on the graduate program you are interested in. However, in general, it is recommended to take courses that are related to your field of study and will help prepare you for graduate-level coursework. This may include advanced classes in your major, as well as courses in related disciplines that can provide a strong foundation for your graduate studies.

2. Are there any specific subject areas that I should focus on?

Again, this will depend on your intended graduate program. However, certain subject areas are generally considered important for graduate school, such as advanced math and statistics, research methods, and writing-intensive courses. It is also important to have a well-rounded education and take courses in a variety of subjects to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

3. Can I take online classes instead of traditional classes?

While some graduate programs may accept online courses, it is generally recommended to take traditional classes if possible. This allows for more hands-on learning and direct interaction with professors and peers. Additionally, many graduate programs have strict requirements for the types of classes that can be used for credit, so it is important to check with the specific program before enrolling in online courses.

4. How many credits should I aim to complete before applying to graduate school?

The number of credits you should complete will vary depending on the graduate program and your own academic goals. It is important to maintain a strong GPA and take a challenging course load, but it is also important to avoid overloading yourself. Quality is more important than quantity, so focus on taking courses that will help you develop the skills and knowledge necessary for success in your desired graduate program.

5. Are there any prerequisite courses that I need to take before applying to a specific graduate program?

Many graduate programs have specific prerequisite courses that they require applicants to have completed before applying. These courses may be related to the field of study or may be general education requirements. It is important to thoroughly research the requirements for your desired graduate program and make sure you have completed all necessary prerequisite courses before submitting your application.