1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nee help in solving aproblem

1. Sep 20, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I dont know where to start and where and i do not understand the problem could you help me out please

In solving for the temperature distribution resulting from two spheres separated by distance and heated to maintain their temperatures equal to unity one derives the following set of infinite equations in coefficients

An + sigma [( Ap*(-1)^ n+p * (n+p)!/n!p! * (R)^-n-p-1] = Sn0

sigma is over the limit p=0 to p=infinity , n=0,1,2,..

where Sno is equal to unity if , and zero otherwise. This infinite set can be truncated to a set of finite equations (N) in the same number of unknowns by considering only the equations and unknowns with n<N . Write a computer program that will solve An for a given value of R and N . Take R=2 and vary N from 2 to 20 and plot the results for Ao. Next, take N=20 and plot Ao versus R as R is varied from 2 to 8. Show the prediction of the following approximate formula:
    Ao= 1/(1+R^-1 + R^-4)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2009 #2
    you need to copy the problem more accurately:

THe usage of limit here is incorrect. I'd write: The summation is over the range p=0 to p=infinity.

the n=0,1,2,..... isn't part of the summation. you get one equation with n=0, another with n=1 etc.

What is this?

if you can't see what is going on, try to write out a few of the equations for n=0, 1,2

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook