Need a book to help practice introductory university physics

In summary, a student is taking an online introductory physics course and is looking for additional practice questions to prepare for exams. They are interested in a book that uses the metric system and is designed for algebra-based courses. They have found a book called Schaum's 3000 Solved Problems in Physics and are considering purchasing it. Another person recommends a book called Physics for the IB Diploma and also mentions that Schaum's books are generally good for practice problems. The student has also considered a calculus-based physics book but is currently using Schaum's and finds it helpful.
MD777
Hello,

I am taking an online introductory year 1 university physics . We are using Giancoli physics 6th edition. My course is algebra based. I want to do some additional practice questions and be able to verify my answers and/or see the solutions. I am hoping that this will help me prepare for my midterm and final. Also, I live in Canada and I need a book that is in metric system. Could you please recommend me a practice book?

I found a book by Schaum's 3000 solved problems in physics. Not sure if I should order it. Please advise.

Physics news on Phys.org
The Schaum's books are generally pretty good for this kind of thing, since they have tons of problems at various levels, and are extremely cheap. They are generally designed to be for a large number of practice problems to nail the computational aspects.

I haven't used the 3000 problems in physics one, but based on my experience I imagine it should be a good fit for your purposes, although I imagine it's at least partly calculus based. Look around to try to get it as cheaply as possible :3

I used to use the schaums outlines as references for my coursework but found that sometimes they diverge from the material we were learning and in some cases didn't help much. However, the Schaums Math Tables and Formula book was used nearly all the time.

jedishrfu said:
I used to use the schaums outlines as references for my coursework but found that sometimes they diverge from the material we were learning and in some cases didn't help much. However, the Schaums Math Tables and Formula book was used nearly all the time.

Yes, I found that Schaum's outline for college physics somewhat diverges from my coursework, but overall it is a good resource and good for practice. I will definitely look at the Tsokos book that you recommended. thank you

artfullounger said:
The Schaum's books are generally pretty good for this kind of thing, since they have tons of problems at various levels, and are extremely cheap. They are generally designed to be for a large number of practice problems to nail the computational aspects.

I haven't used the 3000 problems in physics one, but based on my experience I imagine it should be a good fit for your purposes, although I imagine it's at least partly calculus based. Look around to try to get it as cheaply as possible :3

Yes, it does include some calculus, and it 3000 problems one gives you a skeleton of which problems are calculus based, non-calculus and also rates problems as easy and hard, which is helpful, since they have over 100 problems per chapter. I am using Schaums's outline and 3000 problems and I find it helpful. thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you considered using a calculus based physics book? I have a copy of giancoli algebra and it can be hard to read. His calculus based physics book is easier to read however. Young Freedman also come to mind. Just skip the proble, s you see containing integrals and differentials. You can read the calculus based books for theory and concept then work the algebra problems in your nook.

1. What topics are typically covered in an introductory university physics book?

Introductory university physics books typically cover topics such as mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, optics, and modern physics. Some books may also include sections on astronomy, nuclear physics, and quantum mechanics.

2. Are there any recommended books for self-study of introductory university physics?

Yes, there are several highly recommended books for self-study of introductory university physics. Some popular options include "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick, and "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Giancoli. It is always a good idea to read reviews and sample chapters before choosing a book.

3. Can a beginner with no background in physics understand an introductory university physics book?

Yes, most introductory university physics books are designed to be accessible for beginners with no prior background in physics. However, it may be helpful to have a basic understanding of algebra and trigonometry before diving into the material.

4. Are there any online resources that can supplement an introductory university physics book?

Yes, there are many online resources that can supplement an introductory university physics book. Some popular options include online lectures, practice problems, and interactive simulations. It may also be helpful to join online forums or study groups to discuss concepts and ask questions.

5. How can I use an introductory university physics book to prepare for exams?

To prepare for exams using an introductory university physics book, it is important to thoroughly read and understand the material. Additionally, practicing problems and reviewing key concepts is crucial. Some books may also include practice exams or questions at the end of each chapter to test your knowledge and help you prepare for exams.