1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need a check on calculating prime distributions for large values

1. Aug 7, 2013 #1
    My calculator isn't at all happy running the likely hood of finding a prime at 10,000 digits. Since there is a correlation very close to 1/2 the number of primes for each increase of 1000 digits after 1000 digits I was thinking I could just use,

1/2^(n/1000)×1151.3 = probability of finding a prime for n # of digits

This doesn't work at all for a small number of digits but I am only concerned about gigantic primes and above. Anyone have an idea to about how many digits this function will be accurate?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Prime number theorem
    For numbers around a large number N, approximately 1/ln(N) of those numbers are prime.

For numbers with 10000 digits, the fraction of primes is ##\frac{1}{\ln(10^{10000}) } \approx \frac{1}{23000}##

4. Aug 7, 2013 #3
    Okay so the function I wrote is bunk :)

Where did I get a calculator that can handle the ln10^10000?

5. Aug 7, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

6. Aug 7, 2013 #5
    It sure can, thanks for the link!

Realized that right after I left to get my kids. Brain back-logged :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook