Need a check on calculating prime distributions for large values

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a function to calculate the probability of finding a prime number with a certain number of digits, as well as the accuracy of this function for large numbers. The Prime Number Theorem is also mentioned as a more accurate way to estimate the fraction of primes for numbers with 10000 digits. The conversation concludes with a discussion on using WolframAlpha or log rules to handle the large numbers involved in these calculations.
mesa
Gold Member
My calculator isn't at all happy running the likely hood of finding a prime at 10,000 digits. Since there is a correlation very close to 1/2 the number of primes for each increase of 1000 digits after 1000 digits I was thinking I could just use,

1/2^(n/1000)×1151.3 = probability of finding a prime for n # of digits

This doesn't work at all for a small number of digits but I am only concerned about gigantic primes and above. Anyone have an idea to about how many digits this function will be accurate?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Prime number theorem
For numbers around a large number N, approximately 1/ln(N) of those numbers are prime.

For numbers with 10000 digits, the fraction of primes is ##\frac{1}{\ln(10^{10000}) } \approx \frac{1}{23000}##

mfb said:
Prime number theorem
For numbers around a large number N, approximately 1/ln(N) of those numbers are prime.

For numbers with 10000 digits, the fraction of primes is ##\frac{1}{\ln(10^{10000}) } \approx \frac{1}{23000}##

Okay so the function I wrote is bunk :)

Where did I get a calculator that can handle the ln10^10000?

mfb said:

It sure can, thanks for the link!

Alternatively, use log rules: ln(1010000)=10000*ln(10).

Realized that right after I left to get my kids. Brain back-logged :)

1. What is the significance of calculating prime distributions for large values?

The distribution of prime numbers is a fundamental aspect of number theory and has been studied for centuries. Calculating prime distributions for large values helps us better understand the patterns and properties of prime numbers, which have practical applications in fields such as cryptography and computer science.

2. How do you determine the prime distribution for a given set of large values?

There are various methods for calculating prime distributions for large values, but the most common and efficient approach is using the Sieve of Eratosthenes algorithm. This method involves systematically eliminating composite numbers from a given range of values, leaving only the prime numbers behind.

3. Can we accurately calculate prime distributions for extremely large values?

Yes, advances in computing technology have allowed us to calculate prime distributions for extremely large values with high accuracy. However, as the values get larger, the calculation process becomes more complex and time-consuming, requiring more powerful computational resources.

4. Are there any patterns or trends in prime distributions for large values?

Yes, there are several known patterns and trends in prime distributions for large values, such as the Prime Number Theorem, which states that the number of primes less than a given value follows a logarithmic distribution. Other patterns include the occurrence of certain prime number constellations, such as twin primes and Mersenne primes.

5. How can the knowledge of prime distributions for large values be applied in real-world scenarios?

The study of prime distributions for large values has practical applications in various fields, such as cryptography, data encryption, and computer science. For example, the RSA encryption algorithm, widely used in secure communication, relies on the difficulty of factoring large numbers, which is closely related to prime distributions.