Need a device or method to generate cool air outside

In summary, you can run an air conditioner outside if it's well covered and you want to reduce humidity. There are other options available, such as a vortex cooler or a bottle of compressed air.
dmehling
I need a way to generate cool air outside when temperatures are 90s and above. Basically what I am thinking of doing is essentially like positioning a fan right beside a bowl of ice cubes. Only in my case, instead of using ice cubes, an electrically powered cooling device that can slightly reduce the temperature in the area immediately around it, and a fan would blow that cooler air at a person or object I need to keep cool. And, I would like to keep the air relatively dry (50% or less humidity). I don't know a lot about what's out there, but I did read on another forum about using a heat exchanger to generate cool air. I only need to reduce the temperature by 5° to 10° a foot or less away from the cooler.

Engineering news on Phys.org
That link is for evaporative coolers; is that the kind of device I was describing? I don't think that will work in my case because I need the air to be relatively dry, rather than increase humidity. Are there no other options for outdoor cooling?

You're basically just talking about running an air conditioner outside.

dmehling said:
Are there no other options for outdoor cooling?
Running an air conditioner outside is clearly the easy way to go.
You could improve on that by placing the air conditioner in an area which is well covered by tarps or other materials,
so that the machine isn't having to deal with winds and stuff like that.

You cannot just make something cold without moving that energy somewhere else. That's essentially what any air conditioner, refrigerator or heat pump does.

dmehling said:
I need a way to generate cool air outside when temperatures are 90s and above. Basically what I am thinking of doing is essentially like positioning a fan right beside a bowl of ice cubes. Only in my case, instead of using ice cubes, an electrically powered cooling device that can slightly reduce the temperature in the area immediately around it, and a fan would blow that cooler air at a person or object I need to keep cool. And, I would like to keep the air relatively dry (50% or less humidity). I don't know a lot about what's out there, but I did read on another forum about using a heat exchanger to generate cool air. I only need to reduce the temperature by 5° to 10° a foot or less away from the cooler.
How much money are you willing to pay to set this up? What running cost/hour would you be prepared for?

Reducing the humidity by so much on a very humid day is going to be an economical challenge.

If you are moving air try a vortex cooler. We use them to supply cool air inside of anti-contamination suits. No moving parts except the air.

If it's a small spot, you might try a Peltier cooler and a muffin fan.

A Peltier cooler is basically a thermocouple run backwards.

You might also consider a bottle of compressed air. Fan and ice in one package with no need for electricity.

You could recharge it at the local scuba shop.

The OP hasn't returned to answer questions or provide additional helpful information, so it's time to close this thread. Thanks to all contributors.

1. How does a device or method generate cool air outside?

A device or method can generate cool air outside by using a mechanism called evaporation cooling. This involves passing warm air through a damp surface, which causes the water to evaporate and lower the temperature of the air. This cooled air is then circulated back into the environment, creating a cooling effect.

2. What types of devices or methods can be used to generate cool air outside?

There are various devices and methods that can generate cool air outside. Some examples include air conditioners, evaporative coolers, misting systems, and shade structures. Each of these options utilizes different mechanisms to produce cool air.

3. Can a device or method generate cool air in all outdoor environments?

No, not all outdoor environments are suitable for generating cool air using a device or method. For example, evaporative coolers work best in dry climates, while misting systems are more effective in hot and humid environments. It is important to consider the climate and other factors before choosing a cooling solution.

4. Are there any eco-friendly options for generating cool air outside?

Yes, there are eco-friendly options available for generating cool air outside. Some examples include solar-powered fans and evaporative coolers, as well as shade structures and plant-based solutions. These options can help reduce energy consumption and minimize the impact on the environment.

5. How can I determine the best device or method for generating cool air outside?

The best device or method for generating cool air outside will depend on various factors such as the climate, budget, and specific cooling needs. It is recommended to research and compare different options, and consult with a professional if needed, to determine the most suitable solution for your outdoor space.