1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need a device or method to generate cool air outside

1. Mar 21, 2016 #1
    I need a way to generate cool air outside when temperatures are 90s and above. Basically what I am thinking of doing is essentially like positioning a fan right beside a bowl of ice cubes. Only in my case, instead of using ice cubes, an electrically powered cooling device that can slightly reduce the temperature in the area immediately around it, and a fan would blow that cooler air at a person or object I need to keep cool. And, I would like to keep the air relatively dry (50% or less humidity). I don't know a lot about what's out there, but I did read on another forum about using a heat exchanger to generate cool air. I only need to reduce the temperature by 5° to 10° a foot or less away from the cooler.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2016 #2
    That link is for evaporative coolers; is that the kind of device I was describing? I don't think that will work in my case because I need the air to be relatively dry, rather than increase humidity. Are there no other options for outdoor cooling?

4. Mar 21, 2016 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

You're basically just talking about running an air conditioner outside.

5. Mar 21, 2016 #4
    Running an air conditioner outside is clearly the easy way to go.
    You could improve on that by placing the air conditioner in an area which is well covered by tarps or other materials,
    so that the machine isn't having to deal with winds and stuff like that.

6. Mar 25, 2016 #5

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You cannot just make something cold without moving that energy somewhere else. That's essentially what any air conditioner, refrigerator or heat pump does.

7. Mar 28, 2016 #6

NascentOxygen

How much money are you willing to pay to set this up? What running cost/hour would you be prepared for?

Reducing the humidity by so much on a very humid day is going to be an economical challenge.

8. Apr 5, 2016 #7
    If you are moving air try a vortex cooler. We use them to supply cool air inside of anti-contamination suits. No moving parts except the air.

9. Apr 6, 2016 #8
    If it's a small spot, you might try a Peltier cooler and a muffin fan.

A Peltier cooler is basically a thermocouple run backwards.

10. Apr 6, 2016 #9
    You might also consider a bottle of compressed air. Fan and ice in one package with no need for electricity.

You could recharge it at the local scuba shop.

11. Apr 6, 2016 #10

NascentOxygen

The OP hasn't returned to answer questions or provide additional helpful information, so it's time to close this thread. Thanks to all contributors.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook