Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need a good book on complex systems

1. Aug 16, 2010 #1

cronxeh

Gold Member

I am looking for a good undergrad level textbook on complex systems, emergence, neural networks. I am considering getting https://www.amazon.com/Networks-Introduction-Mark-Newman/dp/0199206651/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_i".

Would anyone have any better suggestions? Something for both a reference and an introductory textbook, as well as some mathematical graph theory included, and maybe cellular automata and chaos theory?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2010 #2

cronxeh

Gold Member

Ok for what its worth, I got the Networks: An Introduction by Newman. Its pretty heavy on the math towards the end, I like the examples he gives in the beginning chapters, but they are lacking the math behind them, unfortunately. The book is a great reference and combines discrete math with probability and statistics class, while only requiring linear algebra and calculus to understand it. The models at the end are very interesting. This book has about 700 useful pages, over half of them are math.

I skipped towards the end but I guess I'll return to this thread to review it better once I finish the whole book.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook