Need a good book on complex systems

In summary, the conversation was about recommendations for a good textbook on complex systems, emergence, neural networks, and related topics such as mathematical graph theory, cellular automata, and chaos theory. One suggestion was "Networks: An Introduction" by Newman, which is heavy on math but provides interesting models and requires knowledge of linear algebra and calculus. The book has about 700 pages, with over half of them focusing on math. The person speaking has not finished the book but plans to review it again once they do.
cronxeh
Gold Member
I am looking for a good undergrad level textbook on complex systems, emergence, neural networks. I am considering getting https://www.amazon.com/dp/0199206651/?tag=pfamazon01-20.

Would anyone have any better suggestions? Something for both a reference and an introductory textbook, as well as some mathematical graph theory included, and maybe cellular automata and chaos theory?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok for what its worth, I got the Networks: An Introduction by Newman. Its pretty heavy on the math towards the end, I like the examples he gives in the beginning chapters, but they are lacking the math behind them, unfortunately. The book is a great reference and combines discrete math with probability and statistics class, while only requiring linear algebra and calculus to understand it. The models at the end are very interesting. This book has about 700 useful pages, over half of them are math.

I skipped towards the end but I guess I'll return to this thread to review it better once I finish the whole book.

1. What are complex systems?

Complex systems are systems that consist of multiple interacting components that exhibit emergent behavior, meaning the behavior of the system as a whole cannot be predicted by studying the individual components. Examples of complex systems include weather patterns, ecosystems, and the human brain.

2. Why is it important to study complex systems?

Studying complex systems allows us to better understand and predict the behavior of natural and man-made systems. This knowledge can be applied to various fields, such as economics, ecology, and engineering, to make more informed decisions and solve complex problems.

3. What makes a good book on complex systems?

A good book on complex systems should provide a clear and comprehensive overview of the key concepts and principles of complex systems. It should also include real-life examples and case studies to illustrate these concepts, as well as provide practical applications and implications of studying complex systems.

4. Are there any recommended books on complex systems?

Yes, there are many recommended books on complex systems. Some popular titles include "Complexity: A Guided Tour" by Melanie Mitchell, "Linked: The New Science of Networks" by Albert-László Barabási, and "Thinking in Systems: A Primer" by Donella H. Meadows.

5. Can anyone understand complex systems or is it only for scientists?

Complex systems can be understood by anyone with an interest in the subject. While a background in science or mathematics may be helpful, many books on complex systems are written for a general audience and use accessible language and examples. Anyone can benefit from learning about complex systems and applying this knowledge to their own field of interest.