Need a help in making logic circuits

In summary, the conversation discusses creating a logic circuit with the minimum number of logic gates to check if a sequence of four binary inputs is monotonic. The attempts at a solution involved using NAND and XOR gates, but ultimately resulted in the use of 12 NOR gates as the minimum number of gates.
Ph_Student

Homework Statement

So I have four bits input(X0,X1,X2,X3), and I need to check if these four bits are monotonic sequence. I got the following function:

Y0 = X2X1X0 + X3'X2'X1' + X3'X2'X0
(Y0 - the output 1 when X0>=X1>=X2>=X3)

Y1 = X2'X1'X0' + X3X1'X0' + X3X2X1'
(Y1 - The output 1 when X0<=X1<=X2<=X3)

I need to make a logic circuit with the minimum number of logic Gate, I also can use only two input gate.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I got 14 gates, I tried to use NAND and XOR gates, but it didn't work for me. Can anyone make any suggestion on how can I make it with less gates.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Try putting the logic equation you've come up with into a Karnaugh map to reduce it or you can just perform some boolean algebra to simplify the original equation using properties such as demorgans theorem etc.

But don't you want a single output function Y and a boolean formula for it in terms of the inputs? Calling the inputs a,b,c,d instead of X0 etc, I get

Y = abd' + a'b'd + bcd + b'c'd'

5 gates if you are allowed 4 input OR and 3 input AND with inverted inputs, but hey, that part is your problem. :wink:

I already handed the homework, but thanks guys

LCKurtz: I wanted two outputs, one if its increasing monotonic, and one if its decreasing monotonic sequence. And I also can use only two input gates.
and the efficiency was to find less gates using nand or nor, because the given deletion time for these gate is low.

but thanks anyway I got 97/100 :-)

How many gates did you get it down to?

12 NOR gates

1. What are logic circuits?

Logic circuits are electronic circuits that perform logical operations such as AND, OR, and NOT. They consist of interconnected digital components, such as transistors, resistors, and diodes, that manipulate and process binary data.

2. How do I design a logic circuit?

To design a logic circuit, you must first determine the desired output based on the given inputs. Then, you can use a truth table to map out all possible combinations of inputs and outputs. From there, you can use logic gates, such as AND, OR, and NOT gates, to create a circuit that produces the desired output for each input combination.

3. What are the common components used in logic circuits?

The most common components used in logic circuits are logic gates, flip-flops, multiplexers, and decoders. These components are used to perform different logical operations and manipulate binary data in the circuit.

4. How do I troubleshoot a logic circuit?

To troubleshoot a logic circuit, you can use a multimeter to test the voltage at different points in the circuit. If the voltage is not as expected, you can trace the circuit and check for any loose connections or damaged components. You can also use a logic probe to test the signal flow through the circuit and identify any faulty components.

5. What are some applications of logic circuits?

Logic circuits have a wide range of applications, including in computer processors, calculators, digital clocks, and many other electronic devices. They are also used in control systems, such as traffic lights and industrial automation, to process and manipulate data to produce desired outputs.