Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need a surface to dance on

1. Aug 20, 2013 #1
    I'm starting to learn some 1920's Charleston dancing but I don't really have a good surface to dance on. I have carpeting in my apartment and don't want to damage the carpet or my socks from sliding across it too much. Are there any special shoes that are of a material that would slide across carpet easily? Or maybe there's a dance mat that I can buy that would make it possible to do all the dance moves on without damaging the carpet or my socks? Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2013 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Well, how about dancing on a board, or on a plastic sheet you place upon the carpet?

4. Aug 21, 2013 #3

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, you can buy large plastic sheets that are designed to protect carpets from office chair wheels. Check an office supply store.

Is Charleston dancing similar to Lindy Hop? I signed up for a workshop :smile:

5. Aug 21, 2013 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Just a large piece of plywood would work. You can apply a layer of varnish if you need it slick.

6. Aug 21, 2013 #5

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ballet shoes might be useful.

7. Aug 21, 2013 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi leroy! :smile:
    if you're doing charleston seriously, you should be twisting each ankle in and out on every step, and also swinging the foot sideways slightly

so your foot should be able to slide slightly, both twisting and sideways, and unlike most dances your foot shouldn't necessarily stay where you first put it

if you don't practise it correctly from the start, you'll never get it

carpet gives too much, and also has a grain that makes it resist differently in different directions

(and a mat or sheet on carpet would also give)

i doubt that you can get the right feel for that ankle movement on carpet (with or without a mat or sheet), and you could even injure your ankles by repeatedly trying to correct for the slight give, or by changing from carpet to a proper surface

you should only be practising charleston on a fixed smooth surface, with leather or suede soles (not trainers)

alternatively, are you in it to get girls to watch you, or to dance with you?

if the latter, forget about doing it properly yourself, just learn how to lead it (if you're dong partner as well as solo charleston) …

there's always a shortage of good leaders! :wink:

8. Aug 22, 2013 #7
    Cardboard like the gangstas.

And learn to break dance get with the times.

9. Aug 23, 2013 #8
    You need a raccoon coat, and don't forget to call your lady friend a flapper girl.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook