1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need a unique type of pressure vessel

  1. Jun 10, 2009 #1
    I have a very odd need for an experiment I'm doing. I require a container of at least 32 fluid ounce volume that is very rigid and strong; it needs to be able to resist preferably at least 100psi internal pressure (water will be inside) without deforming. The opening needs to be at least 2" in diameter.

    I've tried a pressure cooker; but the seal on those do not prevent liquid from seeping out. I'm afriad a nalgene bottle won't be strong enough (but that geometry is ideal).

    I really can't think of anything that exists that meets these needs; I'm afraid I might have to rig one up myself using an old pressurized gas tank... unless you have any ideas!!

  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2009 #2


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

    I'd suggest just getting a short piece of steel pipe, threaded both ends (pipe thread) and then attach adapters and/or caps to the ends.

    Take a look in http://www.mcmaster.com/#"for pipe. Or just go to your local hardware store and see what you can find. You should be able to make what you need for less than 50 bucks.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  4. Jun 10, 2009 #3
    Thank you for the website! I can't believe I haven't seen that before. I have tried the method you suggest, but it didn't work since I couldn't find wide enough pipe at Home Depot. McMaster Carr does have acceptable pipe sizes though.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook