1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need chemistry and calculus gift ideas =)

1. Nov 21, 2005 #1
    My chem and calculus teachers are both turning 50 this year, so we are planning a party for both.

I just wanted good ideas for gifts that relate to what they teach. And I'd rather have good gifts than cheap gifts (They are really cool, and a bunch of ppl are helping to pay for it).

Any help is greatly appreciated. =)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2005 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

For your calculus teacher, try to get hold of a planimeter.
    The planimeter is a neat mechanical device developed in the early 19th century to compute the area of of a planar region (that's sort of connected to the mathematical technique of integration..:wink:)

Here's one link:
    http://persweb.wabash.edu/facstaff/footer/Planimeter/PLANIMETER.HTM

Here's a link to an online auction firm on one of the planimeters on sale:
    http://antiques.search.ebay.com/pla...ZQQsargnZQ2d1QQsaslcZ2QQsbrftogZ1QQsofocusZbs

Last edited: Nov 21, 2005
  4. Nov 21, 2005 #3
    What about some of the classic calculus books by Michael Spivak, Richard Courant, or Tom Apostol? I bet your teacher would love those.

5. Nov 21, 2005 #4

Mk

6. Nov 22, 2005 #5

ShawnD

Science Advisor

7. Nov 22, 2005 #6
  8. Nov 22, 2005 #7

mrjeffy321

Science Advisor

It translates into, "This is not a pipe", in French I think. But even knowing what it means, I still dont get it either.

9. Nov 22, 2005 #8

ShawnD

Science Advisor

It's not a pipe. It's a picture of a pipe.

10. Nov 22, 2005 #9
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?