Need Chemistry Review Books for College Class?

In summary: It's a little more comprehensive than a "review book." If you want a basic review, Introductory Chemistry by Tro is also good.Maybe he is a marketing major. ahah.Here are some sites that could help you, but it's ap though.In summary, the OP wants to review basic chemistry concepts and found a few recommendations. He found the $10 deal for an 9th edition hardcover book that is restricted to a small area of chemistry but is still a good read. The other option he considered is Introductory Chemistry by Tro. It is more comprehensive, but may be too basic for the OP.
skybox
Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for review on basic Chemistry topics. I will be taking my first college chemistry class next semester and just want something to do over the summer to be prepared for the course. I did take a chemistry class in high school, but forgot almost all of it.

Thanks.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The text by Brown, Bursten and Le May is used extensively at the introductory college level. Check your library for it.

Thanks! It's on Amazon for only 10 bucks...9th edition though. I think it will suffice. :cool:

10 bucks ??! That can't be right. It costs about $150, last time I checked.

Can you post the exact URL where you found the $10 deal ?

I used this book in high school and it gives a great introduction to chemistry with plenty of examples and practice problems. Wish I hadn't sold it back.

A Guide to the Elements, by Albert Stwertka--a real page turner! Doesn't mention quarks, enthalpy, Moles, or equations (etc), but really a neat read.

Paula said:
A Guide to the Elements, by Albert Stwertka--a real page turner! Doesn't mention quarks, enthalpy, Moles, or equations (etc), but really a neat read.
This book, however, teaches very little in terms of real concepts, and will not serve the purpose of the OP. It is mostly just a casual read aimed at the lay man.

He did not say that he wants to become a chemist. He wants to take a class. Maybe he could really enjoy it and ask some great questions, once he reads this book. Kind of whet the curiosity. That could be conducive to learning.
(esp. at the price of 5 credits:bugeye: )

Gokul, I am really sorry I said that solar wind is a red herring. Hey
waitaminute! What's wrong with lay man?! Do you have something against them?

Paula, the OP's intention was not to be able to ask great questions, but to review the concepts. The book you suggested is restricted to a very small area of chemistry, and even within that area, it does not teach many of the fundamantal concepts.

Hi Gokul,

Well, it's his 1st college class. Sometimes it's not good to try to dump the whole truck on a person right away. Maybe he just wants to get his basic atoms & isotopes staight.

And besides, I bet even YEW don't know how those sunglasses get dark and then turn light again when you come inside.

Maybe he is a marketing major. ahah.

For AP Chemistry, I suggest http://college.hmco.com/chemistry/general/zumdahl/chemistry/6e/students/index.html
(although I used an earlier edition...)

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like the one we're using right now in general chemistry (Chemistry: The Molecular Science by Moore, Stanitski and Jurs). Its set up very nicely and the concepts are explained in a clear, easy to understand type of way. However, its a little more comprehensive than a "review book." If you want a basic review, Introductory Chemistry by Tro is also good.

Related to Need Chemistry Review Books for College Class?

What are "Chemistry review books?"

"Chemistry review books" are study materials that are specifically designed to help students review and prepare for chemistry exams. They typically include summaries of key concepts, practice questions and answers, and other helpful resources to aid in understanding the subject.

Why should I use a chemistry review book?

Chemistry review books are a great tool for students to use in order to reinforce their understanding of key concepts and to practice for exams. They provide a comprehensive overview of the material and can help students identify areas where they need more practice or review.

What should I look for in a good chemistry review book?

A good chemistry review book should have clear and concise explanations of key concepts, plenty of practice questions with detailed answers, and helpful study aids such as diagrams and charts. It should also be organized in a way that is easy to navigate and follow.

Are chemistry review books necessary for success in a chemistry course?

No, they are not necessary, but they can be a helpful tool for students who want to reinforce their understanding and improve their performance in a chemistry course. Students who are struggling with the material may find a chemistry review book especially beneficial.

Can I use any chemistry review book or should I stick to a specific one?

It is ultimately up to personal preference, but it is recommended to use a review book that aligns with the specific chemistry course or textbook that you are using. This will ensure that the material covered in the review book is relevant to your course and exam. It is also helpful to read reviews and recommendations from other students or teachers before choosing a review book.