Want to pursue chemistry but don't like structures

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Tyler6
Messages
2
Reaction score
3
I'm in Cegep in Canada, which is basically between high school and University. I strongly liked chemistry in the past, and I was very strong. Last semester, our chemistry class was Chemistry of Solutions (covering equilibrium, kinetics, acids-bases, etc), and this semester we have to take General Chemistry, which covers more atom/molecule structure and bonding. I don't like this part as much, and I don't find it as easy or natural to understand. I am told that further in chemistry basically all involves this, I was wondering if this is true or if there's any branch similar to what I like that I can go into?
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
One of the problem with atomic structure and chemical bonding at the Cegep level is that you don't have the necessary background to understand its origin, and therefore it looks arbitrary and only suited to rote learning. Everything will become clearer when you you have a first course in quantum chemistry. I suggest you try and though it out till then, or start studying it by yourself.