Need example of real application of differential equation

In summary, the conversation is about finding a first order differential equation application that is easy to explain but difficult or impossible to solve in order to show the need for approximation techniques like Euler's method. The person suggests using a non-linear example with no analytic solution to entice students to learn about numerical methods.
Beth639
I'm teaching Calculus and am looking for an example of a first order differential equation application that is reasonably easy to explain in terms of where the equation comes from, but difficult or impossible to solve.

I'm trying to show when you would need to use approximation techniques like Euler's method. All the book examples are differential equations with solutions so my students are having a hard time seeing why they need to bother to learn slope fields and approximations of solutions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
B. Gallis

Physics news on Phys.org
Beth639 said:
I'm teaching Calculus and am looking for an example of a first order differential equation application that is reasonably easy to explain in terms of where the equation comes from, but difficult or impossible to solve.

I'm trying to show when you would need to use approximation techniques like Euler's method. All the book examples are differential equations with solutions so my students are having a hard time seeing why they need to bother to learn slope fields and approximations of solutions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
B. Gallis

Typically the harder DE's to solve are the ones that are non-linear in some form.

All the 'linear' type DE's typically have an algorithmic method to find their solution.

Unfortunately in my education most of the examples that were used were linear and pretty straightforward since most of them fell into some category.

My solution is that if you want to entice the students to learn about numerical or approximate methods, then use a non-linear example with no analytic solution. Some problems with heating and cooling may have these, but I'm sure there are many examples in books or on the internet that exist.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates different variables and their rates of change. It involves at least one derivative of a variable with respect to another variable.

2. How are differential equations used in real-world applications?

Differential equations are used to model various phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They help us understand and predict the behavior of complex systems by describing how one or more variables change over time.

3. Can you provide an example of a real application of differential equations?

One example is the use of differential equations in modeling population growth. The rate of change of a population can be described by a differential equation, which can then be used to predict future population trends and inform resource management decisions.

4. How are differential equations solved?

Differential equations can be solved analytically using mathematical techniques such as separation of variables or integrating factors. They can also be solved numerically using computational methods.

5. What are the limitations of using differential equations in real-world applications?

Differential equations are often simplified versions of complex systems and may not accurately describe the behavior of all variables. Additionally, finding an exact solution to a differential equation may not always be possible, and numerical approximations may introduce errors.