Need help building a boomilever for my physics class?

• Thread starter lt337
  • Start date
In summary, the student is trying to build a boomilever for their physics class and is not an expert architect. They need a website to get tips for building and have tried 4 different designs that have all failed. The most the boomilever has held is 18 lbs. and the student is looking for ways to make the compression part stronger without adding too much weight. The student also tried using balsa and bass but found that they did not hold up under compression.
lt337
I have to build a boomilever for my physics I class. I am not, nor have I ever been an expert architect. I have no clue as to how these are supposed to work and I need a good website to get tips for building. It has to be at least 40 cm long and only 15 cm high. We can use one bolt to connect it to the board. It needs to hold 12 kg of sand.

Physics news on Phys.org
lt337 said:
I have to build a boomilever for my physics I class. I am not, nor have I ever been an expert architect. I have no clue as to how these are supposed to work and I need a good website to get tips for building. It has to be at least 40 cm long and only 15 cm high. We can use one bolt to connect it to the board. It needs to hold 12 kg of sand.

A google search is a good start.

I found this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_MNP65dNH4&NR=1&feature=endscreen

but there was other stuff on google.

I have tried 4 different designs, none of which have worked. The most I have gotten it to hold is 18 lbs. Is there any way to make the compression part stronger without adding too much weight? The one with the highest efficiency gets the best grade, so I wouldn't want it to be too heavy. We have been using balsa and bass. Any ideas to help support?

lt337 said:
I need a good website to get tips for building. It has to be at least 40 cm long and only 15 cm high.

I can't imagine a website with these dimensions. What kind of monitor do you have?

lt337 said:
I have tried 4 different designs, none of which have worked. The most I have gotten it to hold is 18 lbs. Is there any way to make the compression part stronger without adding too much weight? The one with the highest efficiency gets the best grade, so I wouldn't want it to be too heavy. We have been using balsa and bass. Any ideas to help support?

failure under compression is usually associated with distortion of the member that fails. The shorter the member the less it should flex, so it seems you want to have your triangulation more compact.

You might have a section that looks like a rectangle with one diagonal - making two triangles as we like to do.

While you could insert the other diagonal as well, you might add two shorter struts perpendicular to the existing diagonal, going to the other two vertices?

What are the key elements of a good website?

A good website should have a visually appealing design, easy navigation, relevant and high-quality content, fast loading speed, and mobile responsiveness.

What makes a website user-friendly?

A user-friendly website is one that is easy to navigate, has a clear and organized layout, provides helpful and relevant information, and is accessible on different devices.

How can I improve my website's search engine ranking?

You can improve your website's search engine ranking by using relevant keywords, regularly updating your content, optimizing images, using descriptive titles and meta descriptions, and building backlinks from reputable websites.

What are some best practices for website security?

Some best practices for website security include using strong passwords, regularly updating software and plugins, using HTTPS encryption, and implementing firewalls and security measures to protect against hacking attempts.

How can I make my website stand out from others?

You can make your website stand out by having a unique and memorable design, providing high-quality and relevant content, engaging with your audience through social media and other platforms, and continuously improving and updating your website to keep it fresh and current.