Need Help Doing Integation by Parts

In summary: Integrals_definite.html In summary, the student is trying to find the integral of z^3 e^z^2, but is having difficulty because of the chain rule and using a u-substitution. He finds a way to do it using a first and then a second approach, but it is easier if he analyzes it first using a u-substitution. He eventually solves the problem using LaTeX.
Airp
Member warned about not showing an attempt

Homework Statement

Find the integral of z^3 e^z^2

Homework Equations

The integration by part formula

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea what to do, I'm just turning in circles

Physics news on Phys.org
Airp said:

Homework Statement

Find the integral of z^3 e^z^2

Homework Equations

The integration by part formula

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea what to do, I'm just turning in circles
Well, show us your latest turn around the circle in working out this integral. You may have overlooked something simple.

Some integration by parts problems require using it a few times :D

Here's my attempt that doesn't work...
1423589596666-962910281.jpg

And another one
1423589706639-37914461.jpg

If dv = e^(z^2), v is not e^(z^2)/z^2. You cannot simply reverse the chain rule going backwards because if you take the derivative of that, you'll get something different from the quotient rule.

So when doing parts and one way doesn't work, what to do next?

Wel, normally you try going the other way around, but it still doesn't work as shown in the first picture...

If you are going to make dv = ez2 dz, then u = z3.

However, it is easier to integrate ez2 dz if you analyze it first using a u-substitution for z2.

Hint: you may not want to make u = z3 for this integral.

Oh ok! I think I get now! Thank you to everybody on this thread for your help! I'll try that!

And when you post again, @Airp, be sure to include at least some of what you have tried.

This is what I finally did! Thank you again!
14235934962312124757711.jpg

Also, it's better to include your work right here in the form rather than an image of it. Everything you wrote on paper can be done right here using LaTeX, which isn't really that difficult.

Here is one of the lines from the last image you posted.
$$\frac{z^2e^{z^2}}{2} - \int \frac{2ze^{z^2}dz}{2}$$

The LaTeX script before it is rendered looks like this:
$ $\frac{z^2e^{z^2}}{2} - \int \frac{2ze^{z^2}dz}{2}$ $
Note that I put an extra space between each pair of $ symbols. That prevents the browser from rendering the script.

Fractions: \frac{}{}, with numerator in first pair of braces, and denominator in the second pair
Exponents: Use ^{} after the thing being raised to the power. If the exponent is a single character, the braces aren't needed.
Integrals (indefinite): \int
Integrals (definite): \int_a^b --Here a is the lower limit and b is the upper limit

More info: https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/

Whoa didn't know that thanks!

What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a method used in calculus to find the integral of a product of two functions. It is based on the product rule from differentiation and involves breaking down the integral into smaller, more manageable parts.

When is integration by parts used?

Integration by parts is used when the integral of a function cannot be easily found using other integration techniques, such as substitution or partial fractions. It is also helpful when the integral involves a product of functions that cannot be simplified.

How do I do integration by parts?

To do integration by parts, you must first identify which function will be the "u" and which will be the "dv" in the integral. Then, you can use the formula: ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du to solve for the integral. You may need to use this formula multiple times if the integral is more complex.

What are some common mistakes when doing integration by parts?

Some common mistakes when doing integration by parts include forgetting to apply the "-∫v du" part of the formula, incorrectly identifying which function is "u" and which is "dv", and making mistakes in the integration or differentiation steps. It is important to carefully check your work and practice regularly to avoid these mistakes.

What are some tips for doing integration by parts more efficiently?

Some tips for doing integration by parts more efficiently include choosing "u" as the function that becomes simpler when differentiated, using the tabular method for multiple applications of the formula, and practicing with a variety of integrals to become more comfortable and confident with the technique.