1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Need help finding contour for this integral

1. Sep 3, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi everyone. I'm trying to integrate the function

[tex]\int_0^{\pi} \frac{1}{(1+\cos{\theta}) \sqrt{1+q^2 \cos^2{\theta}+2q\cos{\theta}-p^2 \sin^2{\theta}}} d\theta[/tex]

analytically, where p and q are constants satisfying [tex] p^2 + q^2 =1 [/tex].

2. Relevant equations

[tex] p^2 + q^2 =1 [/tex]
    [tex] \cos{\theta} = \frac{1}{2}(e^{i\theta}+e^{-i\theta}), \sin{\theta} = \frac{1}{2i}(e^{i\theta}-e^{-i\theta}) [/tex]
    Residue theorem, Cauchy's theorem, etc

3. The attempt at a solution

It seemed to me that the only way to do this was as a contour integral, so I made the substitution

[tex] z = e^{i\theta} \rightarrow dz = iz d\theta \rightarrow d\theta = -i/z dz [/tex].

Using the above trig substitutions, I simplified and got the integral

[tex] \int \frac{1}{(1+z)^2 \sqrt{4+2(q^2-p^2)+\frac{1}{z^2}+z^2+\frac{4q}{z}+4qz} }dz[/tex].

It's still rather ugly, but I can see that there is a pole of order 2 at z=-1. I think I can neglect the roots of the stuff in the square root because each root has a factor of (-1+p^2+q^2) = 0 in the denominator, making all roots infinite. The issue now (assuming my pole analysis is ok) is to choose a contour, but because the sqrt in the denominator is not single valued I need to make a branch cut. Also, I'm integrating from 0 to pi, so that's a half circle in the complex plane. I can't see how to make a contour that includes both the branch cut and goes around the pole at z=-1. Can anyone help, or at least tell me if what I've done so far is valid? :)

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2010 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A little simplification of the radicand could make things much nicer for you:

[tex]\begin{aligned}1+q^2 \cos^2{\theta}+2q\cos{\theta}-p^2 \sin^2{\theta} & = 1+(1-p^2) \cos^2{\theta}+2q\cos{\theta}-p^2 \sin^2{\theta} \\ & = 1+\cos^2{\theta}+2q\cos{\theta}-p^2 (\sin^2\theta+\cos^2\theta) \\ & = 1+ \cos^2{\theta}+2q\cos{\theta}-p^2 \\ & = q^2 +\cos^2{\theta}+2q\cos{\theta}\end{aligned}[/tex]

...and that looks a lot like a perfect square to me :wink:

4. Sep 3, 2010 #3
    ooo, that makes me VERY happy!! :-) :rofl:

Now it's cute and simple and just has a pole of order 4 at z=-1. No icky branch cuts! Yay!

THANK YOU!

5. Sep 3, 2010 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You might still need to be a little careful since

[tex]\sqrt{a^2}=|a|=\left\{\begin{array}{lr}a, & a \geq 0 \\ -a, & a<0\end{array}\right.[/tex]

Unless you know for certain that [itex]q\geq 1[/itex], your radicand will have two different branches.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook