1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help finding inverse transformation for Jacobian

1. Mar 4, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose R is a plane region bounded by xy=1, xy=3, x^2-y^2=1, x^2-y^2= 4. Use the substitution u=xy, v=x^2-y^2 to evaluate

[tex]I = \iint\limts_R \, (x^2+y^2) dx\,dy[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Using the substitutions given, I find R` = { (u,v) | u for all [1,3] ; v for all [1,4] }

So after this, it would seem I need to find the inverse transformation so I can make an appropriate substitution for the integrand and evaluate the jacobian so I can integrate over R`. However, I am having difficulties finding an explicit equation for both x and y in terms u and v. Here's what I've managed to do so far although its ultimately nothing... :(

Squaring both sides of the equations relating u and v to x, y, I find:

(I) [tex]u^2 = x^2y^2[/tex]
    (II) [tex]v^2 = x^4 - 2x^2y^2+y^4[/tex]

Adding equations (I) + (II) I find:

(III) [tex] v^2 + 2u^2 = x^4 +y^4[/tex]

Dividing (II)/(I) equations I find:

(IV) [tex] \frac{v^2}{u^2}\right) +2 = \frac{x^4+y^4}{x^2y^2}[/tex]

And dividing equations (IV)/(III) I ultimately find:

[tex]x^4+y^4=2(\frac{u^2v^2+2u^4}{v^2+2u^2}\right) )+ v^2[/tex]

So as I said above, I really managed to find nothing at all. I've been fiddling around with both equations for a while now in hopes of finding a desirable "form" to be able to explicitly define both x and y in terms of u and v, but I am totally stumped... Any advice or ideas would be much appreciated. :)

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What's v^2+4*u^2? You don't have to express x and y in terms of u and v. You just have to express x^2+y^2 in terms of u and v.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  4. Mar 4, 2010 #3
    So then how should I calculate the jacobian? I thought you needed x(u,v), y(u,v) to do so.

5. Mar 4, 2010 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can get that jacobian by calculating the jacobian of u(x,y) and v(x,y) and inverting it. Can't you?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook