Need help finding Kinematic formula for Initial V

In summary, to find the initial velocity of a truck that covers 60.0 m in 9.0s while smoothly slowing down to a final speed of 3.00 m/s, you can use the equation vf = vi - at and x = vi*t - 1/2*a*t^2 to eliminate the acceleration and solve for vi.
Krasz

Homework Statement

A truck covers 60.0 m in 9.0s while smoothly slowing down to final speed 3.00 m/s.
Find the initial velocity.

Homework Equations

Vi +1/2at^2 has two unknowns
V= vo + at has two unknowns
x= v^2 - Vi^2/2a has two unknowns
v^2=vi^2 +2a(xf-xi) has two unknowns

The Attempt at a Solution

I have been scouring the internet looking for a formula that can solve for V initial excluding acceleration that can work! I can't seem to find any! How do I go about finding the initial velocity?

Physics news on Phys.org
Variables you have: final velocity v, displacement s, and time t. Which one of the four classic kinematics equations excludes the acceleration a?

Fightfish said:
Variables you have: final velocity v, displacement s, and time t. Which one of the four classic kinematics equations excludes the acceleration a?

I can't believe I overlooked that! Thank you!

You have to use two equations
vf = vi - at...(1)
x = vi*t - 1/2*a*t^2 ...(2)
substitute the value of vi from the first equation in the second equation and solve for vi.

1. What is the kinematic formula for initial velocity?

The kinematic formula for initial velocity is v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

2. How do I find the initial velocity using the kinematic formula?

To find the initial velocity, you will need to know the final velocity, acceleration, and time. Then, plug those values into the kinematic formula v = u + at and solve for u.

3. Is there a different formula for finding initial velocity in different situations?

Yes, there are different kinematic formulas for finding initial velocity in different situations. For example, if the acceleration is constant and the displacement is known, you can use the formula v^2 = u^2 + 2as to find the initial velocity.

4. Can I use the kinematic formula for initial velocity to solve problems in different units?

Yes, as long as the units are consistent, you can use the kinematic formula for initial velocity to solve problems in different units. Just be sure to convert all values to the same unit before plugging them into the formula.

5. How does the kinematic formula for initial velocity relate to other kinematic equations?

The kinematic formula for initial velocity is one of the four basic kinematic equations used to solve problems involving motion. It relates to the other equations by providing a way to find the initial velocity when given the final velocity, acceleration, and time.