Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help in controlling the speed of DC Motor ?

1. Jan 29, 2012 #1
    Need help in controlling the speed of DC Motor ??

Can anyone of genius mind here tell me how to control the speed of dc motor in four quadrant operation automatically with out using microcontroller or PLC ??
    I Want to do a mini-project where i want to setup a speed from a keyboard input so that motor will rotate in that speed ??

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2012 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Re: Need help in controlling the speed of DC Motor ??

You would use PWM of the drive voltage via an H-bridge set of switch transistors to control the DC motor. Why don't you want to use a uC to control the PWM waveforms? You will need to do some calibration of PWM --> speed anyway, so using a uC will let you put that table in its memory...

4. Jan 29, 2012 #3

actually its a challenge from my friend.They want me to do such things.Initally i thought to use a dc generator with the shaft of the motor and calibrate the output voltage with speed.output of this generator is converted to digital and comapre with desired speed.but dont how to implement it.So if you can guide me there,i ll feel relax

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2012
  5. Jan 29, 2012 #4

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

i wanted to see how you read a keyboard without a computer...

6. Jan 29, 2012 #5

Yah..its impossible but forget the keyboard interface.Lets tale an volume adjusting type regulator.Just i want to fix a speed by anymeans

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook