Need Help in Proving Trig Identities

In summary, The student is asking for help on two problems which involve proving equations using fundamental identities. They have not attempted the problems yet and do not know where to start. They are also questioning the lack of a homework posting template.
coolshah
Hi all

Teacher gave me homework that i am having trouble doing it ..

i need help in these two problems which i can't seem to solve.

how can i prove the following :

@= theta

sec@ + tan@ = tan@sec@
cot@ + cos@

and

sin^2@ - tan@= tan^2@
COS^2@ - cot@

my try is in the attach file

Attachments

• work.jpg
    work.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 454
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, what have you tried? You must show some work before we can help you. What happened to the homework posting template in which one is supposed to write one's attempts?

cristo said:
Well, what have you tried? You must show some work before we can help you. What happened to the homework posting template in which one is supposed to write one's attempts?

Dear,

i have done my other homework problems but except these two. as i stated i can't solve. Due to the fact i don't know where to start. i do know my Fundamental identities.

ok here this is what i tried after what u have said

Attachments

• work.jpg
    work.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 602
Last edited:

What are trig identities?

Trig identities are mathematical equations that involve trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. They are used to relate different trigonometric functions to each other and simplify expressions.

Why do I need to prove trig identities?

Proving trig identities is an important skill in mathematics as it helps to strengthen your understanding of the relationships between trigonometric functions. It also allows you to simplify complex expressions and solve more complicated problems.

How do I prove trig identities?

There are various methods for proving trig identities, but the most common approach is to use algebraic manipulation and the fundamental trigonometric identities. You can also use the Pythagorean identities and the sum and difference formulas to prove identities.

What are some tips for proving trig identities?

Here are some tips for proving trig identities:

• Start with the more complex side of the equation and work towards the simpler side
  • Use the fundamental identities as a starting point
  • Look for patterns and similarities between the two sides of the equation
  • Use algebraic manipulation to rearrange and simplify the expressions
  • Be patient and take your time - proving trig identities can be a challenging but rewarding process

Can I use a calculator to prove trig identities?

While calculators can be helpful for checking your work, it is not recommended to rely on them entirely for proving trig identities. Using a calculator may not help you understand the underlying concepts and relationships involved in the identity. It is better to work through the problem step by step using algebra and trigonometric identities.