Need help on getting letters of recommendations for REU

• Thread starter CloudKicker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reu
In summary, as a new transfer student in your first semester, you are looking to apply for an REU program this summer but are unsure of who to ask for letters of recommendation. It may be difficult to get a good letter from anyone if you have only been at the school for a short time. However, it is suggested that you reach out to the professors who know you best and can provide more than a generic recommendation. Be sure to explain your situation and interests in REUs when asking, and mention the timeline for when the letters are needed. This will help you determine if the professor is willing to write a strong letter for you. Asking sooner rather than later is also recommended.
CloudKicker
I am a new transfer student to my university and this is my first semester currently i am a sophomore. I am trying to apply to an REU program this summer and every application requires at least letters of recommendation. I am inexperienced with this particular scenario and need some help so i don't look like a fool. Who should I ask, how should I ask ect. Help!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have only been at that school a semester, it might be difficult to get a good letter from anyone. Regardless, here is what I suggest:

If you want to ask your professors at your school for letters, just e-mail or ask in person, the (two?) that you know most. Its best that you select the ones that know you can say more than "He/She was good in my class..." When you do, explain your situation, your interests in REUs, etc to them...

This may not sound like advice, but honestly, its the best I can think of...just ask! The sooner you ask, and the more apparent you make your situation, the better.

Also when you ask, tell them roughly when the dates are, and ask if they think they could write them by then. I suggest doing this because if they hesitate (using the timeline as an excuse), they probably don't want to write one - a sign of a bad letter. Plus, its just the nice thing to do.

1. How many letters of recommendation do I need for an REU application?

Most REU programs require 2-3 letters of recommendation. However, it is always best to check the specific program's requirements to be sure.

2. Who should write my letters of recommendation for an REU?

Ideally, your letters of recommendation should come from professors or other professionals who can speak to your academic abilities, research experience, and potential for success in the REU program.

3. How do I ask for letters of recommendation for an REU?

It is best to ask for letters of recommendation in person or through a personalized email. Be sure to provide the person with enough information about the REU program and your qualifications so they can write a strong letter.

4. Can I use letters of recommendation from previous applications for an REU?

Yes, you can use letters of recommendation from previous applications if they are recent and relevant to the REU program you are applying for. However, it is always best to ask for updated letters that specifically address the REU program you are applying for.

5. How important are letters of recommendation for an REU application?

Letters of recommendation are a crucial part of your REU application as they provide insight into your abilities and potential as a researcher. Be sure to choose recommenders who can speak highly of your academic and research skills to increase your chances of being accepted into the program.