Experience with Late SULI Letter of Recommendation?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
jennys
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Has anyone had experience with applying for the SULI program with a professor submitting their recommendation late? I submitted and requested everything before the deadline, but one professor was late and her letter was refused. This was my top choice for the summer. I have a good GPA, 1.5 years research, and did a Duke nuclear REU last summer, so I really thought I had a chance at this one and hope my application will still be considered. I can't imagine this is the first time this has happened. I tried calling and emailing all the numbers/addresses I could find. Anyone gone through something similar?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
No experience with SULI, but generally speaking there is some leeway with reference letters because most people realize this is not a reflection of the candidate him or herself.

A lot can depend on how competitive the program is, how late the reference letters are, and how strong of a candidate you are.
 
I'm sorry, but the applications are already in the hands of the Laboratories. There's no way to add a letter now. The Laboratories will see your application, but missing this letter.
 
I usually recommend students request letters of recommendation from 1 or 2 teachers more than the minimum required.

The reason is simple: if one or two profs makes this mistake, your application might not be any weaker.
 
SULI recommends three, but requires two. (And to clarify what I wrote, I assumed JennyS followed the recommendation and asked for three. If she asked for two and only got one, the application is incomplete, and most likely will not go to the Labs).
 
Moved it to Academic Guidance as it probably will be easier found by other interested members.