What is the Appropriate Number of Recommendation Letters for an REU Application?

• Admissions
  • Thread starter EternusVia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reu
In summary: Just send the extra letter and don't worry about it.In summary, the conversation is about obtaining letters of recommendation for an REU application. The application requires two letters, but the person was able to obtain three. They are worried about appearing as if they didn't follow instructions, but also don't want to tell a faculty member they don't need their letter. The person is asking for advice on how to word the email when submitting the application with three letters. The other person reassures them that it is not a big deal and suggests simply stating that they have an extra letter.
EternusVia
Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of applying for an REU (undergraduate research experience).

The application requisites call for TWO letters of recommendation from faculty members. In my excitement, I was able to obtain THREE letters of recommendation.

- On the one hand, I don't want to appear as if I didn't read the instructions. Maybe they don't want three letters because all the other students will only submit two.​

- On the other hand, I don't want to tell a faculty member that I don't want his/her letter any more. I would feel rude.​

I have to submit my application via email (attached in pdf form). How can I word the email so that they don't slight me for having three letters of recommendation?

Here's what I have right now:

"Dear REU Selection Committee,

I have attached my application for your consideration.

Note:
- In my excitement, I obtained the recommendation of three faculty instead of two. I understand if you can only reference two of them in the selection process.

Thank you,
[My name here]
Applied Mathematics
University of ***** ******"

Physics news on Phys.org
You are worrying too much. The worst thing that will happen is they won't read the third letter. Usually it is okay to send an extra letter, it gives them more information about you. Most of the grad schools I applied to allowed me to send a fourth letter even though only three were required.

I wouldn't say that you obtained 3 letters of recommendation due to excitement, that seems a little silly in my honest opinion (though it may be the case). Maybe just attach the best two, or don't say anything at all (I mean really, you think they aren't going to give you the REU because you gave one too many letters? LOL)

samnorris93 said:
I wouldn't say that you obtained 3 letters of recommendation due to excitement, that seems a little silly in my honest opinion (though it may be the case). Maybe just attach the best two, or don't say anything at all (I mean really, you think they aren't going to give you the REU because you gave one too many letters? LOL)

You're right, it does sound kind of weird. Is this better?

"I have obtained three academic letters of recommendation, instead of two. I hope this helps in assessing my ability and character."

Note: faculty have to email their letters to the selection committee - I never see them.

I would just say you have an extra letter, that's it. It's a big deal.

I think that sounds much better. Really though, unless they explicitly said "DO NOT SEND MORE THAN 2 LETTERS" (which some applications do, so look out for that), I doubt it'll be a problem.

1. What is an REU program?

An REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates) program is a competitive summer research opportunity funded by the National Science Foundation. It allows undergraduate students to work on research projects with faculty mentors at universities and research institutions across the United States.

2. How do I find REU programs to apply for?

The NSF maintains a list of REU sites on their website, organized by field of study. You can also search for REU programs directly on university and research institution websites. Additionally, your school's career center or faculty advisors may have information on available REU programs.

3. What are the eligibility requirements for applying to an REU program?

Each REU program may have different eligibility criteria, but typically applicants must be undergraduate students, have a strong academic record, and be pursuing a degree in a relevant field of study. Some programs may also have specific requirements such as a minimum GPA or specific coursework completed.

4. How do I prepare a competitive application for an REU program?

To prepare a strong application, you should carefully review the program's requirements and make sure you meet them. You should also have a strong personal statement outlining your research interests and experience, as well as letters of recommendation from faculty who can speak to your potential for research. Additionally, make sure to submit your application before the deadline and follow all instructions carefully.

5. Is there financial support available for participating in an REU program?

Yes, the NSF provides funding for REU programs to cover expenses such as travel, housing, and a stipend for participants. Some programs may also provide additional support, such as meal plans or transportation. It is important to read the program's details carefully to understand what expenses will be covered.