Need help picking material for sole for a running shoe

In summary: If you haven't already done it, I'd suggest looking into the properties of various commercially-available rubber sheet materials. You could probably laminate a few layers with different strength/softness characteristics to get a pretty good ~barefoot running sole. I'd think that the key will be in picking the materials in the stack, and figuring out the best way to glue/laminate them.Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it. I will make sure to send you a pair in the future.In summary,The person is thinking about creating a lightweight running shoe that simulates barefoot running, and they need help picking a material for the sole. They have tried
eliasw8
Hello. I am thinking about creating an extremely lightweight running shoe to simulate barefoot running, and I need help on picking a material for the sole.
1. It has to be cheap
2.It has to be strong
3.No Metal
4.It has to be extremely bendable(able to role up into a tube)

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
eliasw8 said:
Hello. I am thinking about creating an extremely lightweight running show to simulate barefoot running, and I need help on picking a material for the sole.
1. It has to be cheap
2.It has to be strong
3.No Metal
4.It has to be extremely bendable(able to role up into a tube)

Welcome to the PF.

What are your thoughts so far? What have you tried (both rolling and running)?

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

What are your thoughts so far? What have you tried (both rolling and running)?
I have tried nothing. I am just brainstorming right now, and will order a selection of materials in the near future.

eliasw8 said:
I have tried nothing. I am just brainstorming right now, and will order a selection of materials in the near future.

Are you a runner? A barefoot runner? What kind of shoes (or not) do you wear for your runs? Do you run on pavement, dirt, track, or other? :smile:

berkeman said:
Are you a runner? A barefoot runner? What kind of shoes (or not) do you wear for your runs? Do you run on pavement, dirt, track, or other? :smile:
I am a minimalist runner, and barefoot runner. My current shoes are the New Balance XC900 (http://minimalistrunningshoes.org/balance-xc900-spike-less-shoe-review) I run on all surfaces, but pavement or other hard man made material.

eliasw8 said:
I am a minimalist runner, and barefoot runner. My current shoes are the New Balance XC900 (http://minimalistrunningshoes.org/balance-xc900-spike-less-shoe-review) I run on all surfaces, but pavement or other hard man made material.

Very cool. I'm too chicken to try barefoot running, so I'll just stick with my asics Gel Kayanos... :smile:

If you haven't already done it, I'd suggest looking into the properties of various commercially-available rubber sheet materials. You could probably laminate a few layers with different strength/softness characteristics to get a pretty good ~barefoot running sole. I'd think that the key will be in picking the materials in the stack, and figuring out the best way to glue/laminate them.

berkeman said:
Very cool. I'm too chicken to try barefoot running, so I'll just stick with my asics Gel Kayanos... :smile:

If you haven't already done it, I'd suggest looking into the properties of various commercially-available rubber sheet materials. You could probably laminate a few layers with different strength/softness characteristics to get a pretty good ~barefoot running sole. I'd think that the key will be in picking the materials in the stack, and figuring out the best way to glue/laminate them.
Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it. I will make sure to send you a pair in the future.

What is the best material for a running shoe sole?

The best material for a running shoe sole depends on the specific needs and preferences of the runner. Some popular options include rubber, EVA foam, and TPU. Rubber is known for its durability and traction, while EVA foam offers cushioning and shock absorption. TPU is a lightweight and responsive material that is often used in high-performance running shoes.

What are the benefits of using rubber for a running shoe sole?

Rubber is a popular choice for running shoe soles because it is durable, provides good traction, and offers a good balance between flexibility and support. It is also resistant to wear and tear, making it a long-lasting option for runners who put a lot of miles on their shoes.

What is the difference between EVA foam and TPU for running shoe soles?

EVA foam and TPU are both materials commonly used in running shoe soles, but they have different properties. EVA foam is known for its cushioning and shock absorption, providing a soft and comfortable feel for runners. TPU, on the other hand, is more responsive and offers a firmer and more supportive ride.

How do I know which material is right for me?

To determine which material is right for your running shoe sole, consider your running style, the type of terrain you typically run on, and any specific needs or preferences you have. You may also want to try on shoes with different sole materials to see which feels most comfortable for you.

Are there any eco-friendly options for running shoe soles?

There are some eco-friendly options for running shoe soles, such as recycled rubber or bio-based materials. Some companies also offer shoe recycling programs where they take back old shoes and use the materials to make new ones. If sustainability is important to you, be sure to research and choose a brand that aligns with your values.