1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help picking material for sole for a running shoe

Tags:
  1. Feb 16, 2015 #1
    Hello. I am thinking about creating an extremely lightweight running shoe to simulate barefoot running, and I need help on picking a material for the sole.
    1. It has to be cheap
    2.It has to be strong
    3.No Metal
    4.It has to be extremely bendable(able to role up into a tube)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2015 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

What are your thoughts so far? What have you tried (both rolling and running)?

4. Feb 16, 2015 #3
    I have tried nothing. I am just brainstorming right now, and will order a selection of materials in the near future.

5. Feb 16, 2015 #4

berkeman

Are you a runner? A barefoot runner? What kind of shoes (or not) do you wear for your runs? Do you run on pavement, dirt, track, or other? :smile:

6. Feb 16, 2015 #5
    I am a minimalist runner, and barefoot runner. My current shoes are the New Balance XC900 (http://minimalistrunningshoes.org/balance-xc900-spike-less-shoe-review) I run on all surfaces, but pavement or other hard man made material.

7. Feb 16, 2015 #6

berkeman

Very cool. I'm too chicken to try barefoot running, so I'll just stick with my asics Gel Kayanos... :smile:

If you haven't already done it, I'd suggest looking into the properties of various commercially-available rubber sheet materials. You could probably laminate a few layers with different strength/softness characteristics to get a pretty good ~barefoot running sole. I'd think that the key will be in picking the materials in the stack, and figuring out the best way to glue/laminate them.

8. Feb 16, 2015 #7
    Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it. I will make sure to send you a pair in the future.

9. Feb 16, 2015 #8
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook