Need help please with pushing a block question

• Thread starter hisoko
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Block
In summary: Use the same μ to find the acceleration by setting up the equation ΣF = ma.In summary, the conversation is about finding the coefficient of friction and acceleration of a block given the force pushing against it, the angle, and the weight of the block. The question also asks about the acceleration when pulling the block with the same force and angle. The solution involves using the equation ΣF = ma and finding the coefficient of friction using the normal force and frictional force.
hisoko
http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/5889/physics.jpg

so I completely drew my work, as you can I need to find out the coeffiect of mu and the acceleration of the block. I did the Y and X forces and am stuck, because I have 2 unknowns with the X formula even if I sub in the Y into it. Am I doing somthing wrong or missing somthing here? Thanks for your help :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your approach is correct. Post the exact text of the problem.

The site is down for my homework assignment, but that is indeed all they gave me, they only told me the force that is pushed against the block, the angle, and the weight of the block(1000N) and I am to find mu and acceleration of the block, They then say what is the acceleration of the block if you pull it with the same force and angle, using the same mu from the push. Ill post the question as soon as the site is back up

Now it is clear. Block will just start moving when frictional force fr is equal to F*cos20.
Now μ = fr/N. You know N and fr. Find μ.
When you pull the block with the same force, you can see that the normal force decreases.

1. How much force is needed to push the block?

The amount of force needed to push a block will depend on the weight and surface of the block, as well as the friction between the block and the surface it is being pushed on. The best way to determine the necessary force is to use a force gauge or to calculate it using the block's weight and the coefficient of friction.

2. What is the best way to push the block?

The best way to push a block is to use your legs and not your arms. This will ensure that you are using your body's strongest muscles and will minimize the risk of injury. It is also important to push in a straight line and to avoid twisting or jerking movements.

3. How can I reduce the friction between the block and the surface?

To reduce friction, you can try using lubricants such as oil or wax on the surface where the block will be pushed. Another option is to use wheels or casters to help the block move more easily. Additionally, decreasing the weight of the block or changing the surface it is being pushed on can also reduce friction.

4. What should I do if I am unable to push the block?

If you are unable to push the block, you can try using a lever or a pulley system to help move the block. You can also ask for assistance or try breaking the block into smaller pieces if possible. It is important to avoid straining yourself and risking injury.

5. Is there a specific technique for pushing a block?

Yes, there are a few techniques that can help with pushing a block. One technique is to use your body weight by leaning into the block while pushing. Another technique is to use your body's momentum by taking a few steps back before pushing the block. It is important to find a technique that works best for you and to always prioritize safety when pushing a block.