Need help simplifying units of slope for an angular acceleration vs torque graph

In summary, during a lab in class, a positive linear correlation was found between angular acceleration and torque. However, simplifying the units of slope in terms of Kg, m, and s proved to be a challenge for the speaker. They are seeking assistance in simplifying the units and understanding the relationship between torque, inertia, and angular acceleration. It should be noted that the speaker mentioned inertia, but it is actually inertial mass that is a quantity in this context. The equations τ=Iα, I=mr^{2}, and α=\frac{d^{2}θ}{dt^{2}} were also mentioned, and the units of angular acceleration were clarified as s^-2 and m was noted to stand for mass.
pentwaterwave
In a lab we conducted in class we graphed angular acceleration vs torque, and found a positive linear correlation-easy enough. However I am getting rather stuck in simplifying the units of slope in terms of Kg, m, and s... I am fairly sure this will give me that angular acceleration equals torque times inertia but I have trouble with simplifying the slope AND with even getting torque and angular acceleration simplified to kg m and s. I would really appreciate some help! thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
sorry pal, inertia is not a quantity, but inertial mass is.

[tex]τ=Iα[/tex]

[tex]I=mr^{2}[/tex]

[tex]α=\frac{d^{2}θ}{dt^{2}}[/tex]

And the units of α is s^-2. m stands for mass.

1. What is the formula for calculating slope on an angular acceleration vs torque graph?

The formula for calculating slope on this type of graph is rise over run, or change in acceleration over change in torque. This can be represented by the equation: slope = (acceleration2 - acceleration1) / (torque2 - torque1).

2. How do you interpret the slope on an angular acceleration vs torque graph?

The slope on this type of graph represents the relationship between angular acceleration and torque. A steeper slope indicates a larger change in acceleration for a given change in torque, while a flatter slope indicates a smaller change in acceleration for a given change in torque.

3. Can the slope on an angular acceleration vs torque graph be negative?

Yes, the slope on this type of graph can be negative. This would indicate an inverse relationship between acceleration and torque, where as torque increases, acceleration decreases.

4. How can I simplify units of slope on an angular acceleration vs torque graph?

To simplify units of slope on this type of graph, you can divide both the acceleration and torque values by a common factor. For example, if you have acceleration values in meters per second squared and torque values in Newton-meters, you can divide both by 2 to simplify the units to meters per second squared per Newton-meter.

5. What is the importance of understanding the units of slope on an angular acceleration vs torque graph?

Understanding the units of slope on this type of graph is important because it allows you to accurately interpret and analyze the data. It can also help you make predictions and determine the relationship between acceleration and torque in a given scenario.