1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help solving what seems like a strange integral

1. Nov 21, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to find the Fourier series for [itex]f(x)=|x|^3[/itex].

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]f(x)=|x|^3[/itex]
    [itex]A_n=\frac{2}{L}\int_{0}^{L}|x|^3cos{\frac{n\pi x}{L}}dx[/itex]
    [itex]\int_{0}^{L}x|x|sin{\frac{n\pi x}{L}}dx[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since it is an even function I know that it will be a cosine series and so I set out to find the A coefficient like so:
    [itex]A_n=\frac{2}{L}\int_{0}^{L}|x|^3cos{\frac{n\pi x}{L}}dx[/itex]

Through integration by parts I end up with a sine term that goes to zero and some coefficients out in front of an integral that looks like:
    [itex]\int_{0}^{L}x|x|sin{\frac{n\pi x}{L}}dx[/itex]

I would really appreciate any help with this particular integral or if someone could point me in the direction of a solution where a Fourier series is calculated for a function with an absolute value to the power>2. Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2015 #2
    When dealing with |x| it often helps to use the piece wise expansion of it:
    =x, x>0
    = -x, x<0.
    If you were on the interval from [-L,L] you would have 2 integrals one from [-L,0] and one from [0,L]. However, since you are only interested in the function from [0,L] then $|x|^3$= $x^3$. To solve the integral you have integration by parts like normal.

4. Nov 21, 2015 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Did you mean [itex]\int_0^L |x|^3 cos(\frac{n\pi x)}{L}dx[/itex] of [itex]\int_{L/2}^{Ll/2} |x|^3 cos(\frac{n\pi x)}{L}dx[/itex]? In the first, which is what you wrote, x is always non-negative so |x|= x. For the second, do the integrals from -L/2 to 0 and from 0 to L/2 separately.

5. Nov 21, 2015 #4
    Yeah, that was my bad; the question wants me to find the fourier series for f(x)=|x|^3 on -L<x<L. So I think I can choose [itex]A_{n}=\frac{2}{L}\int_{0}^{L}x^{3}cos{\frac{n\pi x}{L}}dx[/itex] and then [itex]A_{0}=\frac{1}{L}\int_{0}^{L}x^{3}dx[/itex]?

6. Nov 21, 2015 #5
    Thanks for your reply. I was unclear in the question statement; It asks me to find the fourier series for the function f(x)=|x|^3 on -L<x<L. I guess I can choose [itex]A_{n}=\frac{2}{L}\int_{0}^{L}x^{3}cos{\frac{n\pi x}{L}}dx[/itex] and then [itex]A_{0}=\frac{1}{L}\int_{0}^{L}x^{3}dx[/itex]?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted