How Thick Should My Thermal Barrier Be to Protect Against Heat?

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of protecting a component from heat by placing a thermal barrier between it and the heat source. The person is trying to calculate the necessary thickness of the barrier to prevent any heat greater than 50°C from reaching the component's surface. They mention using the equation Q=kA deltaT/d, but are unsure how to approach the problem without knowing Q. It is suggested that knowing Q and the properties of the material on the other side of the object would be helpful in solving the problem. The conversation ends with a question about the heat source and if its power can be used to estimate the percentage of heat going in the critical direction.
tina-duncan
Hello friends,

I am having a hard time understanding thermal conduction and was hoping someone could shed some light for me.

I am looking to protect a component from heat by placing a thermal barrier between it and the heat source, the heat applied to the surface of this barrier would be 150°C. I have identified a material with a thermal conductivity of 0.03W/mK, however I am unsure what thickness I would require to prevent any heat of greater than 50°C reaching my component surface.

I have been trying to use the equation Q=kA deltaT/d, however I feel this does not suit what I am trying to accomplish due to not knowing Q?

So my question is, is there another way I should be approaching this problem? Is there a way of calculating Q and then rearranging the above equation to solve for thickness?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tina

Science news on Phys.org
I believe you need to know Q and the properties of whatever is on the other side of the object to be protected. For example..

Heat source (150C) -> Insulation -> object -> something -> Ambient Air (20C?)

If the "something" is a good thermal conductor then the temperature of the object will be nearer "ambient" than the heat source temperature.

What is the heat source? If it has a known power you might be able to estimate what percentage goes in the critical direction.

Related to How Thick Should My Thermal Barrier Be to Protect Against Heat?

What is thermal conductivity and why is it important?

Thermal conductivity is a measure of the ability of a material to conduct heat. It is important in understanding how materials transfer heat, which is essential for designing and optimizing heat transfer systems, such as in building insulation and electronic devices.

How is thermal conductivity measured?

Thermal conductivity is typically measured using a device called a thermal conductivity meter, which measures the rate of heat transfer through a material. The units for thermal conductivity are watts per meter-kelvin (W/mK).

What factors affect thermal conductivity?

The thermal conductivity of a material is affected by various factors, including the type of material, its density, temperature, moisture content, and any impurities present. Generally, materials with high thermal conductivity have a higher density and are more conductive to heat.

What is the difference between thermal conductivity and thermal resistance?

Thermal conductivity is a measure of a material's ability to conduct heat, while thermal resistance is a measure of a material's ability to resist heat flow. They are inversely related, meaning that materials with high thermal conductivity have low thermal resistance and vice versa.

How does thermal conductivity impact energy efficiency?

The thermal conductivity of a material plays a significant role in determining its energy efficiency. Materials with high thermal conductivity can transfer heat more easily, making them less energy-efficient for insulation purposes. In contrast, materials with low thermal conductivity, like air or foam, can trap heat and improve energy efficiency.